Is totally NON Traditional Henna ok?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Heritage
Is totally NON Traditional Henna ok?

I like the look of the traditional indian henna designs, however, I like all things non traditional.   I have been doing Chinese Symbols, Disney Characters Zodiac Signs and other....non traditional designs....I get people saying to me...can't you just stick to the traditional?   I don't have a problem with that, but I like different things. What would be a good answer to that...and is it really wrong to use Henna that way?   I like my Tigger, Pooh and The little mermaid. :(

Thanks ladies (and gents, if there are any here, don't want to exclude you)

Inna

Malynda
Re: Is totally NON Traditional Henna ok?

Question:  "Why do you do non-traditional henna?"

Answer:  "Because it makes me so damn happy!"

The only instance I can think of that can be of any real issue is intentionally hennaing religious symbols in a disrespectful way.  But only hennaing in one style?  Pffff.  You gladly cater to other peoples' opinions when they call on you for henna, but when it comes to your own skin, do whatever makes you happy.  It's a body art, not a religion, and there is no moral obligation to only draw in one style for fear of going against others' differing opinions.  I have seen hennaed images of a sprouting potato, a coin slot, a car engine piston, a big sack of money, a heart with a banner enscription of "Your Mom", and most extraordinary of all... a portrait of Elvis hennaed on a slice of cheese.  Funny, tacky, weird... sure.  Blasphemy?  Nope.

Nene

In my opinion there are people that need to complain...all the time! it feeds their egos to send you off thinking you are wrong or doing something wrong... not to mention they probably have a sister aunt or daughter that does henna and your work is better than theirs...

Do what you like when you like! There are many traditions that are no longer followed. Henna is a art form, you, the artist, can chose what when and where you want to draw! Is it traditional for us to use henna on candles? Who cares! You will offend these kinds of people everyday with the way you dress, the way you walk or the way you did your hair... Just smile, say "this is my style of hennaing and it looks like my appointment book is fully booked right now, maybe I can refer you to someone who is more traditional?"

Nicole

Of course!  I personally am better at traditional, but I wish I could draw more modern things that you are talking about, because there are always people who just aren't a huge fan of flowers and swirls.  Not to mention now men get henna too today, so they probably don't want a bridal design ;)  It's great if you can do traditional for those who like that (like me :)), but why not broaden your horizon?  It's only wrong if you're claiming these are traditional designs, lol.  But give it a hundred years, and they will be :D  Even in tradition, things change, I mean look at "traditional" European clothing.  They will be different in every century, even decade, and I'm sure henna is the same.  Probably if you go back 100 years, it is different than 300 years ago.  Also, every culture is different, so your response could be "This is traditional American henna" (or whatever your background may be :)).

Have fun, and show us pictures!

Maggie

I did a Laylat al hinna (night of henna) two months ago and one of the guests got Hoops & Yoyo on her foot and "That's what she said" on the side of her hand. Of course it's ok to henna whatever you want or whatever you clients want. When it comes to religious symbols that's where things get more strict (at least for me) but other then that go for it!! I've seen classical pieces of art copied in henna, no one could ever tell me that it was wrong...it was BEAUTIFUL. As one of the other's said already people just always need to complain about something. Stand your ground and know that you're not in the wrong.

Jen

People are sometimes a little sensitive about nontraditional stuff. Remember how gauged piercing used to make folk cringe? I suppose some people may act that way toward cartoon henna, but they'll get over it eventually... like the way I've gotten over the idea that a person with a neck tattoo can only be employed as a dishwasher. Things change!

Here's one of my favorite nontraditional hennas,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9962201@N07/2572139083/

Heritage

Thanks Ladies!    I have giggled at your responses.   Made me feel sooooo much better.    I am not considering myself an "artist" yet...unless transfer paper designs count as art, lol.   With time and practice I will be.   But thanks for making me feel better :)

And Jen...are you the Jen from "Body Art by Jen"?.   If you are, my old henna is what I purchased from HennaMuse about 2.5 years ago (I believe that is/was your site).   I have promptly put the box...untouched in my hot Florida Garage and forgot about it till very recently.   It still stains well...I am impressed :).  I have been to the hennamuse site recently and see no shopping link :(.

Inna

Jen

Yep, that's me! Glad the henna held up. There's no shopping link because I'm DONE peddling wares. It was not fun or lucrative, and I've since found better ways to pad my income in other henna related endeavors.

Anoushka

My speciality is taking a bunch of elements and patterns and wildly mashing them up-sometimes it works,sometimes it just turns out odd.there have been moments where i'm kind of worried about  offending people by completely butchering traditional mehndi designs...of course i hope that's not the case,but you never know...?