Would this work on gray?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
barbinlr
Would this work on gray?

Read elsewhere on the net, that to make a brown henna mix the henna, indigo, and lemon juice for dye release.

The site also said you could get a light brown on grays with this which is what I have always tried to achieve.

What do you think?  I am discouraged because I go from  too red from fading to being too dark with everything I have done!!!   barb

ACWN
Re: Would this work on gray?

Yes and no. Henna needs to be mixed with an acid (like lemon juice), then allowed to sit, covered (plastic wrap pressed to the surface of the henna), for dye release. With lemon juice it needs to sit 12 hours. After you have dye release (for which you test on your palm by smearing some on, let it sit a minute and rinse off - you want a vivid orange stain) you then mix the indigo with plain water and then mix the two together.

Indigo does not like acid mixed directly with it. Henna acts as a buffer. Indigo dye releases right away and should not be allowed to sit for more than a few minutes.

Ratios are very important when it comes to color. Too much indigo will result in a dark color, too little will result in an auburn color. However, you cannot limit the color to just your grays. Plant dyes will dye everything, so your over all color will change or darken.

barbinlr

Thanks for your reply.

What you described is the way I have been doing things. And I only do gray roots now.  Initially I like the color, but not for long. It tends to fade quickly and I am left with reds. 

Just wondering if you could dye release the indigo with the henna, but I guess not.  barb

ACWN

By the time the henna reaches dye release, even with something very mildly acidic like tea, the indigo will be pretty useless.

Try washing your hair with a clarifying shampoo or dish soap next time before you hennigo. That may help it stick better.