Would like to cover mostly gray hair...which Henna should I use.

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Darlene
Would like to cover mostly gray hair...which Henna should I use.

Hi hoping someone can give me some direction.  I have dark brown hair with lots of gray.  I have been dyeing my hair for years with commercial products and am concerned about relation to cancer.  I would love to use a natural henna instead of chemicals.  I LOVE the color burgundy.  Would someone kindly assist me to figure out which henna would cover a lot of gray and possibly give me the burgundy color I love. 

Darlene

ACWN
Re: Would like to cover mostly gray hair...which Henna ...

Celebration would be your best bet. Any henna will eventually give you burgundy if you apply it enough, but Celebration henna from mehandi.com is the highest dye content available from the site, probably the highest available EVER and covers even stubborn gray. Two - three 4 hour applications should give you burgundy over all.

Mix it with something slightly acidic (apple juice with a splash of lemon will work well) so that it just comes together in a thick paste - lumps are okay, let sit about 8 hours covered (saran wrap pressed to the henna's surface) at room temp (no warmer than 75 degrees F) and then test for dye by taking some of the paste and applying to your palm for a minute. When you rinse it off, you want a vivid orange stain like this. If its lighter than that, let it sit a half hour longer. If you dont have a stain yet, let it sit another hour.

Once you have dye release, add more liquid (plain water is fine) until you have the consistancy of stirred up yogurt and apply to freshly washed, towel dried hair (I mean you just stepped out of the shower right before you apply fresh). Cover - either with plastic wrap, a throw away shower cap or a plastic grocery bag. Make sure the cover is pressed firmly to the henna on your hair, then cover with something warm - a winter beanie or one of those little towel turbans. A full sized towel is really heavy. But warmth is really important for dye uptake.

Find a movie, a book or take a nap. You can leave it in overnight if you so desire, but you wont get much extra dye uptake after 4 hours.

Since you're shooting for burgundy, you really dont need to wait for oxidation. You can apply again the next day.

Now, I always personally recommend getting at least 100 grams over what they recommend on mehandi.com, especially if its your first time using henna. User error can happen (such as mixing it too thick) and you may not have enough otherwise. You can always freeze the extra for roots - freeze it in a ziplock bag, pressed flat for quick thawing.

mauhall
Re: Would like to cover mostly gray hair...which Henna ...

I also find adding about 10% Indigo to the formula helps to cut down the orange and push the hair towards burgundy faster.  I've also seen a difference in the depth of color after a 6 hour application in comparison to a 4 hour app.  If you have the extra time, I think you will be happy with the longer app.