Bad Breakage

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
mandy_42
Bad Breakage

Hi all! I used a mixture of Celebration, water and apple cider vinegar to henna my hair less than a month ago. The color is gorgeous, but I have some serious breakage. I had set the mixture on a Friday and didn't have time to actually put it on my hair until Sunday, but I did my strand test Saturday and everything was fine. So on Sunday I decided to take the plunge, I left it in for 6 hours. The ends of my hair are very dry. I can't tell you the exact mixture I used, because I didn't measure anything. When I rinsed it, I used conditioner and warm to work it out. I've read that if you have had problems the first time, that a second henna treatment will "cure" those problems, but I'm pretty nervous to try another treatment! Anyone had any problems like this? Advice? I'm thinking it was the ACV that caused the breakage because it's acidic.

ACWN
Re: Bad Breakage

Dryness can come from too much acid or henna residue left in the hair. Wash your hair really well with shampoo and see if that helps.

Now, about the breakage. Are you SURE its breakage and not hair simply falling out? Henna mud tends to be very heavy and will cause hair that was going to fall out later on to fall out now. So it may look like you're suddenly losing alot of hair when you really arent and for the next few days you wont see any hair falling out on your pillow or in your brush.

Or is it actually breaking off at mid point or leaving little stubble-ish bits near your scalp?

mandy_42

Thanks for your reply! My hair is breaking off about an inch from the roots. I guess I wasn't clear, that I hennaed just under a month ago. I noticed a little bit of breakage right afterwards, but didn't think much of it right away, but I have a good amount of breakage near my roots now and my ends are really dry, even though I had a trim the same day I did the henna. I did do a mayo/yolk treatment this past weekend, but am considering getting a good amount of hair cut off.

ACWN

It sounds like your hair may not agree with henna, which happens. Instead of making it strong and soft, it makes it dry and brittle and prone to breaking. Chances are if you do it again, it may get worse. But it may not, it could be the acid. If you're willing, try something way less acidic like apple juice or tea - green, black, chamomile, any citrus/fruit based one (like orange or mango), or zinger works.

I would try another deep moisturizing treatment. I recommend honey and conditioner. Mix a small amount of honey into conditioner, apply and wrap. Dont worry, it wont have any effect on your color. It drips, but let it sit on your head for as long as you can stand. Rinse, wash with a little conditioner, and away you go. After that, you can do it in shower. What I typically do is wash my hair first thing, then apply the mix and bind my hair up. I do my shower thing (which takes about 15 minutes to a half hour), then rinse it out. This makes my hair feel like silk. What worked for me personally is honey and Suave Professionals in the orange bottle (cant remember which one it was, sleek maybe?).

You may have to play with conditioners to see which works for you. I stopped doing this cause Suave Professionals strips the henna from my hair - it may not do that to you though.

mandy_42

Thank you!! I will definitely try the conditioner and honey treatment. I had planned on doing a hot oil treatment tomorrow, but will try the honey and conditioner one instead. I'm still on the fence about doing another henna treatment, but I think if I do, I'll try the apple juice, or maybe even water. I'm crossing my fingers that it's not the henna, and my ACV wasn't diluted enough. :) I really love the color!

ACWN

I do not recommend just water. You will get a near instant dye release and the dye demise will be very rapid (meaning you may miss it entirely), and the color will not be as intense nor as permanent.

Carrie

I just want to mention that I saw little hairs sticking up around my part after I started using henna, but I plucked a couple to look at the ends, and they weren't broken hairs. They were new hairs growing in, and henna made them stand up at attention all the time. Worth checking out.

mandy_42

Hmm. How can I tell the difference between broken and new?

Carrie

A new hair has a fine, smooth tapered tip. A broken hair will look and perhaps feel (if your hair isn't too fine) rougher.

mandy_42

I plucked two and the ends are very tapered, but the hair seemed to be a lot thicker than the rest of my hair and much darker, the tapered end was lighter. It was a chore to try and snap it. So that sounds like new hair? It's not just at my part and forehead, if I separate my hair you can see these dark, short hairs sticking up.

Carrie

Right, if it's new hair it won't be just at your part, but that's where people tend to notice it at first.  What you describe does sound like new hair, and it seems like henna really makes it stand up straight for some reason!

mandy_42

Thank you!! It makes me feel much better to know that this is actually new hair, and not a bunch of breakage. I'll continue with conditioning treatments, mainly for my ends and give henna another try.

angie

I have found using Aubrey Organics shampoo and conditioner does WONDERS for my dry hair. It was dry from chemical color before the henna and althought he henaa did make my hair seem to be in better condition, I still had the dryness issue. Since trying the Aubrey Organics, I no longer need a leave in conditioner. (I never thought I could get away with not using a leave in!) I also do a deep conditioning treatment overnight with coconut oil every couple weeks or so. My hair is now nice and soft even with going to the beach a few times a week.

Moneybox (not verified)

I use Jamila and did mix it with Lemon Juice a couple of times, however, now I just mix it with hot water - I find it mellows the colour down and maybe the Lemon Juice is acidic. I know some people mix with natural Yoghurt !

ACWN

We typically do not recommend hot water here because it causes almost instant to instant dye release (which can result in people missing dye release entirely to due rapid dye demise), weaker/lame color and can induce fading. Most people who use henna do not want either of those things. Lemon juice is basically the most acidic liquid you can use with henna (though folks have used majorly acidic mixes such as lemon, lime AND orange - which we also dont recommend cause thats just too much). Some folks, like myself, find that using LJ causes massive drying so we suggest something less acidic, such as OJ, apple or even chamomile tea, to give long lasting and intense color.

However, if you find that using hot water works best for you then stick with it. If it aint broke fer you, dont fix it. :)

irinadax

I'm not saying that Henna may have caused your breakage or dry hair, BUT, i will say that the first time I used Celebration (and it was the last also), it dried out my hair very badly. I have been using this website's henna for years. I have used Yemen, Jamila, Pakistani, almost all of them, and Indigo. I have NEVER had any problems with dry hair, or breakage, in fact, henna turned my fine hair into beautiful, shiny, lustrous hair. Fastfoward to Celebration, and i ordered it b/c it was supposed to give a darker color, and I prepared it just like I have always prepared my other hennas, lemon and black tea, left on for 4 hours. It left my hair very very dry, I had to end up trimming it, about 3 inches. So............do consider that it could just be the Celebration and not all henna. If I were you, I would try a different henna next time, maybe the Yemen. It could just be me though, i haven't read that Celebration is particulary drying, but for me it was not good. just something to consider before giving up on henna all together.

Disneynut1977
  • I've been henna'ing for alomost 2 years. I noticed until I got to my 3rd or 4th full head application, my hair felt slightly drier. Once I had multiple coats though, I had that silky smoothness going for me. Do another treament if your not concerned about going a deeper color and see what happens.

Also as Carrie said, make sure to rinse it ALL out in the shower. I go through 3 COW washings with a full head treament and alot of rinsing before I feel it's all out.