allergic to indigo :(

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
nextleesa
allergic to indigo :(

greetings,

I hope someone here can provide some advice for me please. i've purchased my henna (Yemen) and indigo from Mehendi and applied a 50/50 mix (carefully doing the allergy patch test and following mixing/application instructions etc.) 3 times now. When I did my last henna (8 weeks ago) I had no reaction to either henna or indigo. Yesterday, I developed a rash to the indigo patch. So, I used just the henna on my short reddish brown hair. My gray is about 50% now and so I have temples that are pretty brilliant red henna now, with some interesting reddish roots as well. My natural root growth is medium ash brown. So, what else can i use for the brown tone since I cannot use indigo? Of course, i'll do the patch test again etc.  also, any recommendations on something soothing for my scalp? i have a constant itch but no rash...  thank you, Leesa

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: allergic to indigo :(

Just keep washing .... the itch will subside.  I'm sorry to hear that you're allergic to indigo.  It's incredibly rare, but there doesn't seem to be anything on the planet that doesn't flame somebody.  (My daughter is now allergic to sunshine.)

Try Celebration, and do your roots every 3 weeks or so.  That keeps Luna's white hair such a dark red that it looks like dark brown until she steps into the sunshine.  Buxus might brown up the Celebration a bit.

Jen

...and if you try the buxus... IME it seems to be darker and stick better if you use it as a second, separate step. I also suggest you mix with water and use it right away like you would with indigo.

vanja

be aware, if you developed allergy to indigo you can also develop allergy to buxus, some people seem to be more prone to develp new allergies then others. 

When I develped allery to indigo I soon developed also allergy to wallnut shells dye.

Just to remeber,

best regards

nextleesa

thank you Catherine and Jen for your replies. i just ordered the Celebration henna and after a patch test, i hope to use it right away. the crazy orange temples (where i'm totally gray) have subsided a bit and i'm really grateful. i love the henna red and darker will be really good, but gray hair is weird how it turns orangey. i would have never figured that another henna would have a deeper/darker color (3.4% lawson content), but the pics on your site clearly show the difference.  once i get my hair done, i'll write back with the good news!

blessings to you all,

Leesa

vanja

If nothing else will help and if you can find such a treatment in your country, try sublingual immunotherapy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublingual_immunotherapy

I developed mild allergy after 6 months of using indigo. It was itching on the scalp.

I used the therapy and now I am fine and still use indigo.

It was a last chance for me for I developed allergy on everysingle dye (chemical permanent, semipermanent, wallnutshell dye...)

Try to ask your doctor about the sublingual immunotherapy treatment if this is your last chance of dyeing.

For certain allergens, you can allready buy drops online, but not for indigo:

http://allergyspecific.com/content/our-products

Best regards