Which BAQ henna should I use?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Juneau
Which BAQ henna should I use?

Hi guys, I have a question..

I want to buy some BAQ henna, because I've heard that BAQ henna has the highest dye content? I have dark brown hair and I really want it to have it redder.. 

Someone recommended me mehandi.com and they have a lot BAQ henna's but I just don't know which one is the best and have the highest dye content. Can someone help me out

Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Which BAQ henna should I use?

If you compare BAQ henna to henna "for hair", yes the dye content is typically somewhat higher, but most brands you'll find out on the market have very low dye content.

Mehandi.com's hennas are actually much higher than what you would normally find on the market. And unlike most, a good majority of their henna is lab tested for quality, contaminants, and dye content. If you read a little, the descriptions for the Ancient Sunrise hennas will tell you the dye content.

If you want THE highest dye content mehandi has, that would be Celebration. Next would be Yemen (which might be out of stock? It was recently, dont know if it still is or not), then Purity, then henan for African hair (which is the finest sift mehandi.com sells).

Any one of them would add more red color to your hair, but because your hair is dark to begin with you may or may not notice any real color change inside. Outside you would see more red for sure because its reflecting more (red colored) light. Henna cannot lighten one's hair, it can only add color to the color you have right now.

Juneau

Thank you very much for your quick answer.

Yes, I know henna can't lighten the hair. But I recently dyed my hair with compound henna and I have a dark red glow outside (or inside in the light), which I am very pleased with. And if BAQ henna has a higher dye content and can give me a more red colour than compound henna, I am sure I will be satisfied!

I think I'll go with the Celebration BAQ henna as it has the highest dye content!

ACWN

Compound henna typically has chemicals or metallic salts in it that "enhance" the color so its more like a chemical box dye than henna. Compound henna is not real, pure henna and doesnt act the same way. Its actually fairly dangerous stuff.

I also highly recommend the henna e-book available - click here

That will give you just about everything you need to know about mixing and applying real henna. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Juneau

O, I have an other question:

What products should I mix with the Celebration henna if I want to turn my dark hair to auburn or an other really reddish haircolour? I've heard rooibos tea can make it more red? Or should I use some lemon juice?

And which products should I really avoid mixing with as it will give me a brown colour instead of a red colour? I've heard that coffee gives a bron colour?

I am a really noob if it comes to henna..

ACWN

Replied while you were typing this one, so dont miss that reply.

Nothing will make it come out more red. Like I said, henna cannot lighten your hair and if your hair is dark brown it will result in a red tinted color. This is a good example of henna on dark brown hair (just ignore the recipe as its old and out of date) - click here. The gal in that photo had highlights done, which is why you can see distinct streaks of red in her hair, but the rest is her natural color with the henna over it.

If you want auburn (like this or somewhat darker), you'd have to start out with light to medium brown hair. Lemon juice is the typical liquid used to mix henna (again, I really recommend the e-book). It does not have any real effect on the color - its not going to make it any lighter or any more red.

Coffee has no effect on the color either. All it will really do is give you the jitters. The only real things that you could add to henna to make it more brown are buxus and indigo, both of which are plant dyes like henna.

Juneau

Thank you for the helpful response! I have read the e-book and it has been very useful.

I have an other question: somebody told me that if I dye my hair a couple of times (with BAQ henna), the colour will be more visible after several applications? Is this true? Or is it.. the more I dye my hair the less red it will be? 

Because I saw the pictures of Tami:

http://ilovehenna.tripod.com/id1.html

And the more she dyed, the more red the colour gets.. I know that her actual haircolour is medium brown and mine is dark brown, but I was wondering if it has the same effect (i.e.: getting more red after several applications) or does it turn out the other way (the colour gets less red after several applications)?

ACWN

The color will probably get more purple, especially with Celebration. In a few applications with Celebration, you will end up with burgundy/wine colored hair. Thats the saturation point, your hair cant take any more color after that. All henna is that way, but because Celebration's content is so high it happens much faster and much easier. The more you do full head apps, the more the color will build up and the darker it will get.

But honestly, strand test. The more you strand test and experiment on samples, the more knowledge you will have for when you do full head applications. That way you know what do to and what not to do that is specific to your hair and your mix.