Auburn on blonde hair

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nilam
Auburn on blonde hair

Hi,

I'm new in this forum, but I've been looking at the pics here for quite some time. For about a year I've wanted to colour my hair with henna/indigo but haven't had the nerves. I've talked some to Helena at helenashenna.se, a swedish site for hennaed hair, but still I haven't dared to realy do something. 

Anyway. I would love to have a colour like Rini, or Dionne. But my hair is very bright blonde and I've bleached strands before. HERE is my haircolour, the top is with flash and the bottom is without flash. The orange strand is a test of Caca Marron from Lush. I hoped for a darker colour with caca marron (it says to give an auburn color, but it dindn't in my hair), but it just got orange. That's not what I want. I have done tests at hair from my brush too, but I only got one colour mix I liked and that was 40% henna, 40% Indigo and 20% amla (maybe less amla, I'm not so sure). That gave a very light brown tone which I quite liked, atleast to start out with, and then try to get it darker. 

Well, I haven't seen many pics of people that have hennaed as bright hair as I have. So, can you help me with colour mixes that can give me a auburn color? I love pics, so if you have, please let me see!

Thanks for a lovley site and a lovley forum. It gave me alot of inspiration to start!

/Nilam (from Sweden)

Carrie
Re: Auburn on blonde hair

Hi Nilam!

Is your hair naturally blonde? I am wondering why the Caca Marron didn't do much for you. If you have extreme peroxide damage that can keep henna and indigo from attaching well. Or perhaps the cocoa butter in the Caca kept the indigo from working.

I'd suggest you do some strand testing with different proportions of henna and indigo, starting with around 75/25 henna/indigo, perhaps trying as much as half-and-half, though that may be too much indigo so it will be darker than you have in mind.

Our mixes page can give you an idea of what different proportions and timing do on differently colored hair:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html

Here is a 90/10 mix of henna/indigo on darker blonde hair than yours - on you, 10% indigo may not be enough:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS[]=11180

Keep in mind that indigo cannot be removed or bleached out ... blondes may have a hard time with this; as time goes by they tend to long for their blonde hair back ...

Nilam

Hi!

Thanks alot for the answer! I´m a natural blond yes. But I've highlighted my hair for some years now, but just highlighted so that it wouldn't be too bright. The pics are almost my natural colour, highlighted in the ends, but 2-3 cm from the roots are natural. 

I've done some strandtests. Tried to take photos of them, but they didn't turn out fair to the real tests. But I did try: 1, Caca Marron 2, 50% marron 50% amla (didn't change alot compared to just marron). 3, 100% henna (did get very orange) 4, 50% henna and 50% indigo with a touch of amla (the one I was most satisfied with) 5, 50% marron and 50% indigo (did get very dark, almost dark grey).  And I tried to leave Marron longer. I let it sit for 12 hours and still it didg't get so much darker than the test that was in for 3 hours. 

I will try henna and indigo in more different proportions. I've ordered boxus from Helenas Henna and it should soon, maybe that´s better? 

I've looked alot at that mix page and there is so many beautiful colours. But I didn't find so many pics from people that was as blond as I am. Many are very dark blonde or even have brown hair and those hennaresults looks just beautiful! Wendys looks fine, so maybe I'll start of with a very light gloss- I do have henna prepaired...

I's a lot of decisions to be made :-)

Nilam

Well, discovered today that I told you wrong. Not that it´s so important, but the mix I was most satisfied with on the strandtests was 2/3 henna and 1/3 indigo, and a tiny bit of amla. It turned otu brown with a touch of green. Not much, but some. 

I'm waiting for my boxus, and I hope thats better for a brown tone. Indigo seems to green/grey for mine. But maybe I havn´t the right proportions. 

ACWN

The green will fade in a few days when it oxidizes. It happens with both buxus and indigo from time to time. Dont judge your samples now, judge them in about a week.

Nilam

Okay, I will. But 2 days have allredy past. And I think it looks more green-ish now than it did 2 days ago. But I´ll wait and see! Thanks!

ACWN

If it still seems too green by next Saturday, apply a weak henna gloss and see if that helps. It could be that you need a little more henna.

Carrie

It's odd that you got green with only 1/3 indigo, that shouldn't happen. Either the henna didn't give you good uptake or you have a hard water problem, with minerals that have built up in the hair and are reacting with the henna to make it turn out greenish. Did you skin test the henna to make sure you had good dye release before putting the hair in it? You did have a good orange result from 100% henna, I see, so that rules out both possibilities (mineral buildup & inadequate henna dye uptake. You could try leaving the henna/indigo/amla mix on for 3 hours with mild heat applied - around 100'F  (37'C) to simulate body heat, if you didn't do that before. Henna will deposit more dye with that warmth.

Nilam

Okay, in those strand tests I used Henna- it was cold. I had mixed it, let it stand hot (in a bowl in hot water) for several hours and then put it in the fridge (when the colour had released). That may be a factor for the henna/indigo/amla mix to be a bit green. Thanks! I did not test it om my palm before. I just hoped it would be okay, and the test with JUST Henna was okay. It had a nice orange tone. But I dont want orange hair! And that one was cold too!

But in the test in my hair I used Marron and it was mixed with hot water and put it on my hair directly. 

Carrie

What was the temperature of the paste while it was in contact with the strand test?

Nilam

I just covered the tests with the mixes and left them in roomtemperature- which is about 25degrees celcius.

Can that effect the outcome? The same with the test in my hair. I left it there without plastic or anything around it... 

Now I saw new pics of a haircolour I liked! The link you posted in another thread. Is it your pics? They are wonderful! http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3787006903/in/set-72157623088472780/

ACWN

I dont know if its the same for Lush henna, but with BAQ henna you HAVE to cover the strand tests (and the henna on your head) with plastic wrap or something (like a shower cap pressed down to the henna/indigo). If the paste dries out, it will not dye.

Carrie

To get an accurate strand test, you need to wrap the pasted hair in plastic airtight and keep it at body temperature, around 100'F / 37'C. The heat of your head is going to affect dye uptake so make sure your strand test reflects that.

Yep (thank you!) that's my hair when I was using a mostly-cassia mix with a little bit of henna and buxus.