Allergic to Indigo, But Want Dark Hair - Molasses Anyone

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Vizion4B
Allergic to Indigo, But Want Dark Hair - Molasses Anyone

May I use black strapped molasses in my henna mix to achieve dark hair to cover my greys.  I'm really tired of the auburn roots from the henna mix.  I want to go dark brown/black.  I am allergic to indigo.  It gives me excruciating migranes even with just 2 tablespoons to my henna mix and my roots were still auburn.  Since Black strapped molasses browns meats and make sauces dark, I was wondering if it would be a good match with Jamila henna for darkening my grey roots.

One of my friends also mentioned 1/2 Amla powder and 1/2 Henna powder.  Will that give me dark brown on my grey hairs? 

Thank you in advance for your help.   

Carrie
Re: Allergic to Indigo, But Want Dark Hair - Molasses Anyone

Molasses isn't known as a hair dye. I've heard of people using molasses and honey in hair treatments for moisture but I don't believe it will affect your color. I don't see any harm in trying it; if you do, please let us know what happens.

1/4 amla, 3/4 henna will darken the color of henna somewhat, but won't make it brown. I've tested higher proportions of amla and they don't give darker color than 1/4 will.

I don't know of another plant dye for hair besides indigo that will give you dark brown color on gray. A 50/50 mix by weight of buxus and henna will give a warm reddish medium brown; 70/30 will give medium ash brown.

Some people with gray are really liking Celebration henna; its high dye content gives deep red/auburn on the gray the first time around (darker than the orange you get with lower dye content hennas).

Vizion4B

Thank you.  Back to the drawing board.  One of my friends is testing clay for a darker color when mixed with henna.  :-D

Shreela

I'm researching how to get my grays a medium brown, because I fear that hendigo might darken my med-dk brown too much for my almost glow-white, middle-aged skin, making me look like an Elvis-impersonator.

I found a thread at long hair forum about Buxus, which seems to tone down the red, but not as dark brown as indigo. Sounds great for me, but not sure if it'll get you the color you're seeking. Maybe black walnut hulls might get your darker color you're seeking, but I'd definately do an allergy test since I've read many are allergic to the walnut hulls, and you're already allergic to indigo. I found some powdered black walnut hulls here; I bet it's available from many places -- I just chose this one because they showed a pic of how fine the powder is ^_^

Vizion4B

Thank you Shreela.  I will definitely research black walnut hulls before attempting to use it. If 9 out of 10 people are allergic to it, I probably am also. :-(

Danmara

I actually tried the mollasses thing when I was younger. *lol* It was an experience for sure but it didn't work. Made a huge mess. Don't do it.

Vizion4B

Danmara, the molasses did not work for giving me dark brown hair on my greys, but it makes my application of henna smooth, rinsing easy, and my hair soft and manageable. I didn't make a mess since I only apply 1-2 tablespoons monthly in my henna mixes. I would say that Plantation Black strap molasses is similar to honey, but not as sticky.

Danmara

Vizion- good to know. I didn't mix it with anything, just applied it straight. It was a real sticky mess that I had to use clarifying shampoo like 3 times to get rid of. Plus the kitchen was sticky.