Getting started...

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
redfox
Getting started...

I'm getting to the point where I think I would feel comfortable with doing henna for money.  At festivals or farmer's markets, or similar small venues.

What is the best way to get started?  I don't know of many local ladies (anyone in the Waukesha/Milwaukee vicinity let me know :) ), but if anyone is willing, I'd love to apprentice for a while just to see how to do it.

Also, can anyone tell me if it's really even cost effective to do henna on a somewhat limited basis?  I know that I wouldn't necessarily be able to do every festival that comes up, and I know that it can be tricky to get started, plus there are booth fees and the like... so I'm just not sure where to start. 

My thought at this point is that I would keep my designs very simple and limited to the hand or arm, and keep maybe 5 to 10 very simple, 5ish minute desings available.  I also thought about doing simple face painting, just to keep things moving, but I don't know :)

Any suggestions would be great :D

jmk3482
Re: Getting started...

I will first recommend that you buy a copy of How to Start a Henna Business. It is an excellent book for beginners.

It may be difficult to find someone to apprentice under due to the fact that in some areas, henna artists are few and far between and many full time artists simply don't have the time to take on an understudy. But if you can find one, more power to you!

I am completely self taught. I learned everything about henna from hennapage.com. I suggest you read as much as possible from all the resources there if you haven't done that already. Before you start trying to make money, the first thing you need to do is have a reliable recipe that you KNOW will give you consistent results on multiple types and shades of skin. The second thing you need is a few simple designs that you can do consistently.

If you are a good artist, you want to be paid about $1 per minute. So a 5 minute design should cost about $5. I've heard from several artists that a 5 dollar design is the same size as the circle you make with your thumb and index finger. The faster you are, the more money you can charge.

It has been my experience that henna on the side is rarely cost effective. If you spend the money to put together a tent/booth, design books, supplies, good henna, plus booth fees, only doing 3 or 4 gigs a year will not support your habit.

But if you are really dedicated to it, it can pay off. The artists who do henna exclusively as a way to pay the bills, are the ones doing brides and going to any and every festival they can. Some even import and resell henna.

Don't be a afraid to start. But just start small and do what you know. You will run into a LOT of kids who want the tattoo looking designs. Tribals and kanji are always big. But if you want to stick to more traditional designs, only display those in your book. Don't put anything in your books that you have never done before. Trust me, on that. 

I hope this helps.

redfox

Jmk... I do know most of those basics.  I use the KISS recipe, and I can work fairly fast.  I know that only having what I can do in my book is a must, and simple designs are my friend :)

I will look at that How to Start a Henna Business and see where that gets me :)  I don't need to know how to do the henna as much as I need to know how to contact people about events and get involved.  I don't want to get into the fancy tents and such if I can help it, at least not yet. 

desertholly

Isn't Beth somewhere in the Milwaukee area?

Nene
Why not start with home parties ( birthdays, girls nights, ect) you can schedule them in when you want and there is no booth fee