Sometimes, you just want to bash your head into a wall. . .

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ladytetsu
Sometimes, you just want to bash your head into a wall. . .

so, yeah, if this lady sees it, I MEANT YOU!

So I'm going through my email and I run across a gig offer, the weirdest one lately. . . Eid henna, she wants both hands both sides, she's got her own henna and she's "willing" to pay $25.  I reply with the boilerplate "sorry, minimum booking" email, and she replies with a request for my party rates.  I tell her.  She says I'm charging too much, she wants to use her own paste, she should get a discount, I'll get lots of referrals from it.  I tell her no go, sorry, I won't use anybody's paste but mine, policy, do it yerself, and I don't work for referrals.  She says "but you don't do black, I want black, so you have to use my paste" and tries to lower her offered price.  After all, I'd get to network with her friends!

At this point I'm lolling over it, I'm long since past ever being willing to touch this woman.  She finally comes back with a CAPS email saying basically $25 or nothing for her and her friends, I'm gonna do black and like it because she's gonna pay me, and how dare I tell her I won't do something!  If I don't do her black henna she's gonna tell people!  SHE'S THE CUSTOMER AND THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!!

Fine lady.  You call Santa, the Easter Bunny, the BBB and the FDA and tell them I refuse to put deathpate on you.  Your granny's granny's granny defnitely used black, absolutely, it's been totally traditional for 40,000 years, since, you know, aniline was isolated in 1826!

God.  I just needed to rant. . . I'm just ignoring her at this point, but wow - we've moved beyond dumb and clear into willfully stupid.  Not ot mention rude!!!

CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Sometimes, you just want to bash your head into a wall. . .

Never forget your social status as a henna artist, you are born only one step above the social class that washes out the menstrual rags.  We all obviously did something atrocious in our past lives to be born to henna. We are not trusted.  We are not valued.  If we get caught drawing water from the well reserved for her group, we could get acid thrown in our faces. She performs her worthiness by being incrediby crappy to us'ns who were born inferior to her. She's playing the social script handed down to her from a hundred generations and she feels totally entitled, even honor-bound, to keep it up  Her identity depends on it, and she will defend it until ... she's willing to make the most frightening, disorienting reboot in her whole life.

We wish her all the luck in the world with that strategy, now that she's off her own turf.

If she has a US born children ... they are also banging their heads against the wall. Daily.  Coz it just ain't workin' hereabouts and they are seriously stuck in the middle.

barefootgirl

They just want to suck out your soul!!

Maggie

I am so glad you wrote that out Catherine! I remembered reading about this before and of course my own experiences but I am glad to read it in black and white. Unfortunately for us we are treated like crap, but I will say that I find it's "traditional henna using" customers who are more likely to treat me like that. With the Western customers I am almost always treated as an artist and not just hired help. Remember ladies afterall, we touch feet!!!

Tetsu, you stick to your guns darlin' you're worth so much more then any amount of THEIR money.