can I use henna to cover my skin where my hair has not grown in yet?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
shorty
can I use henna to cover my skin where my hair has not grown in yet?

Hello everyone!  I am so glad I found this forum and feel comfortable asking for help.  My hair is probably 80-90% gray under my ion color medium golden brown.  I have colored it for many years and can only guess how much gray I might have.  This is my dilemma.  I had tricotilomania for most of my life and have only in the last few years been able to stop pulling.  As a result of that, my hair is very sparse in many areas and don't show much sign of producing hair.  I have had to use the canned spray hair color to actually cover the skin that does not have any or much hair.  i had considered using Color Fix to removed the dye and then bleach to pure white and put a platinum color for shine.  I would still have the sparse areas but I thought white/gray hair would be less obvious.  And then I found you and am wondering if I can use the henna you all talk about on my skin to cover the bald spots and also use it on my hair.  I thank you for being here for me, I really don't have anyone I can talk to about this and I am quite alone in this journey.

Carrie
Re: can I use henna to cover my skin where my hair has not ...

Henna doesn't stain the scalp permanently - the color fades in a day or two.

Using ColorFix followed by bleach and then toned to white/gray would be a better option, but I'd encourage you to go to a professional for this as you'll be less likely to damage your hair and irritate your scalp excessively.

In case you haven't seen it, there is a great website called Going Gray, Looking Great, that might be helpful to you in your transition to gray hair.

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/

shorty

ok I understand about henna being temporary but wouldn't it be better then the spray on hair color?  Right now I have to use a can every 2-3 days.  I am not quite convinced about going totally gray yet so I would like to find at least another option, like henna.  Thanks for your help...

ACWN

It would probably be better for your skin, yes. But you would still be applying it every 2 - 3 days as it doesnt last on the scalp.

Carrie

... and it would be bright orange :)

ACWN

Oooh.. hmm.. yeah, thats a good point. Would it be even with something like Celebration?

Carrie

Haven't used it yet, but every other henna I've used is bright orange at first, and on the scalp it fades before it can oxidize to brown.

shorty

So if I understand you all, because the henna would turn my gray roots orange it would also do the same to my scalp?  Can henna be used by just wetting a sponge applicator and dipping into the dry henna and use it that way?

ACWN

Not exactly, shorty. Henna always starts out bright orange on skin or hair, then oxidizes over a period of 4 days to a week. Because henna doesnt last that long on the scalp, it doesnt have time to get beyond that orange stage. But depending on the henna you use, your gray hair wouldnt remain orange for very long or may not even start out very orange at all. The highest dye content henna mehandi.com sells (celebration) is suppose to push even stubborn grays past the orange stage and into auburn fairly easily.

And no, henna doesnt work like that - with a damp sponge applicator. I mean, I'm sure you could, but it wouldnt come out evenly, if it does at all.

Carrie

Henna is a green powder so applying it dry wouldn't look very good.

Danmara

What about something like dark toned powder makeup or eye shadow applied with a sponge as you were going to do the henna? You'd have to do it every day but it'd be far less trouble once you got used to doing it.