Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair now with pictures

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Milenaangel
Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair now with pictures

Hi guys,

Need a bit of advise here. Just did my firs henna application. My hair is quite dark brown and I was aiming for darker brown/red and used BAQ Indian henna from Henna Boy and lemons/oranges for mixing. Left on the  mixture for 12 hours after mixing to release dye, tested on palm that is ready, applied and left on hair for 2 hours.  

The end result is much lighter hair colour than I originally started with and just wondered if it might change over the next few days. My hair was completely 100% natural colour and chemicals free. Also, no gray hair. 

P.S. I would post pictures but haven't worked out how to attach

ziddy
Re: Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair

the orange might look brighter than your starting color. it'll settle down and oxidize in a week and might darken up. you might have to do a few applications to get it darker past the orange stage.

Carrie
Re: Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair

Agree, you shouldn't evaluate it until 2 days of oxidation have passed, and it will probably darken indefinitely because you used lemon and orange juice.

We can't post photos here but you can post a link to a photo you've placed on any image-hosting site, like photoshack.

Milenaangel
Re: Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair-now with pics

Thank you very much both! I will wait and see what it looks like in a few days time. I just thought that because I have dark brown hair I was automatically saved from the orange hair stage but it just goes to show that with henna I should not assume anything. Maybe because my hair is so untreated it makes the henna stick more. 

I will wait a bit and if not dark enough, will apply again. Would you say that I should leave the henna on for longer than 2 hours. 

today before henna

http://flic.kr/p/8ufhGs

and here

http://flic.kr/p/8ufhDE

today after henna

http://flic.kr/p/8ufhN3

and here

http://flic.kr/p/8uccVT

Many thanks,

Milena

mauiangel

Aloha Milena,

Yes, DO wait before re-applying :) Your hair will darken over the next few days. I've been using henna ordered from this site called "purity" over medium brown hair with come grays and my hair is now a dark rich auburn. Also, keep in mind that after your color settles and if you decide that it's dark enough (to only continue doing root applications) as your hair will darken to somewhat burgundy/plum shades in certain light with multiple applications.

Enjoy your hair! You're lovely! ~A~

mauiangel

oh yeah, I leave my henna on for at least 4 hours.

Also, I switched to mixing it with cooled tea after my second application because I found the fresh lemons to be too drying on my hair and made my scalp sensitive.  My hair is VERY soft now after using henna for over a year now

Milenaangel

I might have to do the same ( switch to tea) as my scalp feels a bit itchy which is unusual for me. 

I did think today to leave it for 4 hours but panicked as my husband said that he doesn't like me wit ha very red hair so I run to wash it earlier :)

I do hope tomorrow my hair is less orange like and more ruby like

mauiangel

Yes, Men DO have an impact on our own personal style choices don't they? ;) 

I've attached a shot of my roots a day after a purity henna application which I left on for my usual 4+ hours. It's darkened up quite nicely since but you can see how red it gets with a longer application. The bright red hairs were once GREY. there are some other shots on my flicker page (under purity henna) that show this color in different light. If 2 hours works for you an you like the color then you should stick with that ;)

be well, ~A~

http://flic.kr/p/8uBjuY

Milenaangel

Wow, wow, wow, I love the colour! It's beautifully deep and not brass/orange like mine. I did have a look at your other pics and also like the result after punjabi prime. 

I did order from Henna boy and that website didn't seem to have the type of henna that mehandi.com has. I definitely want to get my colour deeper but will wait a week or so to see what my current colour settles at. I so regret leaving the henna on for only  2 hours but on the other hand it was a good thing as my scalp feels so bad from the lemon. 

I can see you've tried different types of henna. Do you have a favourite one? And have you stopped experimenting with different hennas now that you are doing roots only? 

BTW, your hair will look great in any colour- it is so lovely :)

mauiangel

Thank you Milena :)

Yes, I'm very happy with the "purity" henna that I'm using now.

When I first started using henna I used Jamila over hair that was previously chemically colored brown and had lots of damage from when I used to highlight it. I used to have to use gobs and gobs of leave in conditioner to manage it! Then I experimented with Indigo to try and go brown but it came out waaaaaaaaay to dark and too purple looking so I had to wait for it to fade and also  tried lightening it again which damaged it even more. I switched to "Purity" to try and get a dark stain on my roots so I could transition back to plain henna because the indigo did not work for me. So now it's almost all one good dark auburn color! And I've been trimming off all the old damage a little bit each month. Hennaing and now having almost all healthy hair has definitely changed my curl pattern though.I used to have ringlets and now I have wavy hair.The henna has made my hair a bit heavier. It's a nice change that I'm trying to get used to. I chose Purity because it has a hi dye content and doesn't leave my roots a flaming orange at first like Jamila and Punjabi Prime and even Yemen did. One application of purity is like 2 or 3 apps of PP as far as color saturation goes. I also chose purity because it's described as being more brown than garnet or ruby. It's still RED just not flaming (over my brown hair) looks a little more natural to me. Next time you make a batch of henna try using the herbal tea instead with maybe the squeeze of one lemon or a dollop of apple cider vinegar (tho not that necessary) That should feel better on your scalp :)

Loved your pics too and I think a rich red will suit you beautifully.

Be well ~A~ 

Milenaangel

You are a brave girl, you've suffered for your art ( or for beauty) :)

I must say, not seen your hair really curly but I love the wavy hair you have now. It is the hair that I imagine mermaids have.

I will try next purity, just waiting to first see what my current attempt ends up as. I must say by day 4 my hair looks so shiny and it's darkened. If only my eyebrows weren't so black :)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience- it is so so helpful!!!

Milenaangel

Hi Mauiangel,

Thank you very much for the advice! I definitely do not want plum/burgundy :). It has already darkened a bit so by tomorrow might be even better. I will remember to only do the roots and I guess as I only kept the henna for 2 hour snow  I should do the same for when I do the roots?  

I will post one picture tomorrow with the progress of the colour.

Many many thanks,

Milena

Update:

one day after henna in the sun 

http://flic.kr/p/8utufk

and indoors

http://flic.kr/p/8utubt

So, it looks like by tomorrow it will be as dark as I had hoped it would be. 

Thanks for all the help.

Danmara
Re: Henna-ed hair much lighter than original hair now with ...

*lol* mine did the same thing the first time- my medium brown hair turned FLAME  ORANGE!!! I loved the color, personally, but not many other people did. My eyebrows are almost black naturally so it probably looked weird.

Natural hair color: (LOL @ the pic...it's one of the few I have showing my virgin hair which I haven't seen in years.) http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/?action=view&current=meancrop.jpg

Day after henna (it'd already darkened a fair bit): http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/?action=view&current=hennasun002.jpg

2nd day after: http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/?action=view&current=hennasun002.jpg

It kept getting darker after that. :)

Milenaangel

Hi Danmara,

Thanks for sharing your experience. You do suit red, I must say. Even the flaming variety :)

I have an even bigger 'black eyebrows' problem than you but not sure I can be bothered to dye my eyebrows as well. 

Danmara

I've never bothered to dye my eyebrows. *lol* They didn't match my virgin hair either, so I just didn't bother.