First timer wanting to Henna RED

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
LIFEIS2EVIL
First timer wanting to Henna RED

Hi, I want to Henna my hair red and I'm looking for help to get the best color. I want a bright red/orange color. Whats the best mix to achive that? My hair lenght is up to my chest but not passing it, just reaching there. And hair has been chemically dyed in June Light Alburn, and in July bright red but neither of the dyes took very well even though I haven't died my hair in about 2-3 years :/

Pictures taken today without flash

http://img707.imageshack.us/g/picture404v.jpg/

http://img251.imageshack.us/g/picture420t.jpg/

As you can see my roots already grew out. I purchased AL Jelani Natural Henna Extract:

http://img42.imageshack.us/g/picture432.jpg/

I know it might not be enough grams but I'm planning on purchasing 300g on which ever you recommend to do after this first one :)

Jen
Re: First timer wanting to Henna RED

MANY people complain that red chemical dyes don't take very well. You're not alone on that.

I'm afraid you may not be able to get a really bright on your hair right now. Brighter yes, but not a true red or orangey red. Henna can only add to the color in your hair, not lighten. The current color of your hair may be too dark to be able to get to the color you're after. The best way to find out is to mix a tiny, spoonful sized batch and try it on a few strands from your brush and see what you get.

I can't give you specific advice about that particular product. 

LIFEIS2EVIL

Thank you :) could you please give me tips on a good mix to help the red be  brighter and not to dark?

Like would it be best to mix with vinegar or lemon?

and if I henna more than once would that help to? (Like henna 2-3 times in 1 week)

I am really excited to try this :) wish I would have found this site first :( I regret buying this henna since I don't know if its mixed or not now grrr but gonna do a strand test first :)

Carrie

Your hair appears dark enough that real henna will not make it bright. Using pure henna several times would build up a brilliant red shine in bright sunlight but your hair would still appear dark indoors.

The one you've purchased comes in colors and I can't find ingredients listed anywhere, making me wonder if it might actually be a chemical dye with some "henna extract" added. I hope it comes with instructions, and you should follow those. Here on this forum we discuss pure individual plant dyes, and the instructions for those would be different than the instructions for what you 've purchased.

If you get some pure henna, the kind that only comes in one color, mixing it with green or herbal tea will give you color that doesn't darken as much over the coming weeks. It won't be able to lighten your hair but will add red highlights in the sun and lots of shine.

LIFEIS2EVIL

Which Henna should I buy? I was thinking this one for what I want? Body Art Quality Ancient Sunrise® Henna for Hair Kit: Red and was thinking after I Henna dying it chemically or just with peroxide to make my hair lighter and then hennaing over that again. Or should I just use a color remover? Not to sure but reason I wanna henna before and after is cause I want to protect my hair from damage as much as I can :)

Also could you recommend where I could get Cassia/?

Thank you :)

Carrie

The Ancient Sunrise Red would be fine. Dyeing your hair chemically won't lighten it as much as simply using peroxide developer 20 or 30 vol will.

Color remover will help if you have dark chemical dye in your hair. It would leave your hair a flat light orange color most likely. You could henna over it.  It would be a good idea to use a clarifying shampoo in between in case it leaves some kind of deposit in your hair.

LIFEIS2EVIL
Carrie

That's cassia, it won't change your hair color unless you have white or pale blonde hair.

LIFEIS2EVIL

Yeah I know it won't change the color but doesn't it condition the hair and make it silky/shiny?

LIFEIS2EVIL

Tried the henna and I must say it was the hardest thing to apply ever >_< is it always that way or are there tricks to make it stick to the hair more? I washed my hair then dried out the excess water before applying the henna paste which like I said would not stick to the hair. It would stick to the gloves and hands but not to the hair :( tried my best and wrapped it up plz helps

Carrie

If it's not finely sifted, it will be rough and clumpy and not want to stick to your hair. If it's nice and fine, it will mix up creamy and not have any problem sticking to your hair. It is awkward doing it the first time but will get better with practice. Have you watched the H4H videos?

If you have a lot of coarse henna that you want to use up, you could mix in something smooth and creamy like conditioner, honey or yogurt to help it stick better.