Another newbie in need of help!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
nhalia
Another newbie in need of help!

Hi!

My celebration just arrived today, and I cannot wait to get started with it :)  I have very dark brown with strands of gray mixed throughout it.  I am also pregnant, and my skin and scalp is on the sensitive/itchy side at the moment.

I want to get the best color I can on my gray without irritating my scalp too much.  I'm honestly not sure how my skin would react to full out lemon juice, as I was wanting to leave the henna on for as long as I could take it.

I've read over the forums and theres lots of different suggestions with what to mix it with, but I'm not sure what (if any of them) affects the dye concentration?  Like I already said, I'm looking to get as dark of a color from celebration from one application as I can.  I realize that eventually it may take me more to reach the color I want :)  So, if I were to use chamomile tea, apple juice or orange juice...do they effect the color deposit on my hair?  Or just how long it takes the dye to release pre-coloring?

What would you suggest I use as the liquid?  And how long should it sit out approximately?

(as you can tell, I'm confused!!) Thanks!!

ACWN
Re: Another newbie in need of help!

So long as you mix it with a certain amount of acid, the color result is always going be the same after oxidation. With less acidic liquids, it starts out a little more orange and seems to darken down more. With stronger acidic liquids (like lemon), its less orange and darkens down less. But it also continues to gradually darken over time.

Beyond that, the only real difference is dye release time.

Acidic teas (chamomile, black, green, zinger, citrus based): 1 - 4 hours - needs to be brewed strong (3 bags per cup of water) and at least room temp. Never hot. I have personally never had to wait a full 4 hours for dye release. The most I've had to wait is 2 and that was when it was winter and blistering cold. Start testing for dye release at an hour if you house is around 70 - 75 degrees. If you keep your house cooler, wait about an hour and a half before you start testing.

Apple juice: 6 - 8 hours

Orange juice: 7 - 9 hours

Remember that the warmer the room is where you keep the henna, the faster the dye will release. The cooler, the slower. Dont let the room get above 80 degrees as anything over that is too risky. The faster it releases, the faster it will demise. You may miss dye release entirely if you use something like tea.

Also, when you test for dye release... its palm only as the palm takes the dye the best and gives a more true result. Smear some on your palm for a few minutes, then wipe. You want a color like this - click here. Thats a good place to apply. Any lighter and you will want a wait a half hour longer. No color, wait an hour more.

nhalia
Re: Another newbie in need of help!

Thank you!  You cleared up all of my confusion in this one post!!