super dye resistant gray

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mirrorpool
super dye resistant gray

As I have gotten more gray hair, I have had to move from hendigo to 2 step in order to get my roots brown.  I'm finding that now, even that isn't resulting in as dark of a brown as I would like.  More of a medium brown.  I use Rajasthani Twilight before using Zekhara Indigo.  I wash my hair with both baking soda and dish soap beforehand,  and add salt to the indigo.  I usually only leave the henna on for 5-6 hours before leaving the indigo on for 2 hours.  Is there anything else I can do?  Leaving the henna on overnight only irritates my sensitive scalp.  My roots are bright orange so it seems the henna has done it's job just fine, but it seems like the indigo isn't working too well.  I only rinse the henna out with water before doing the indigo.  Should I be soaping it up or something?

enissel
admin
Indigo not sticking

Hello,

I recommend using a clarifying shampoo or our Rainwash before applying the Henna to remove any mineral buildup from the hair. http://www.mehandi.com/product-p/rain_01.htm  Baking soda and dish soap will remove oils,  but will not remove mineral buildup. I also recommend washing out the henna with either shampoo or dish soap.

If neither of these work,  then you can add 1 tsp table salt to 100g of Indigo for better Indigo uptake.

Mishkyn
Also have dye resistant grey

While placing my last order, I spoke to a woman from customer service about the two step process not working.  I had been using the dish soap/baking soda before henna, left henna on 6 hours, then indigo on 2 hours. The woman recommended I not use the baking soda, and be sure to use a foaming shampoo after rinsing out the henna.

I did that, but the indigo still did not stick on the hardest grey to cover: the crown of my head and about half an inch down from that. I find that after I leave the indigo on 2 hours, I rinse it out and then have to add yet another round of indigo for another 2 hours on the crown area.  Sometimes I am so tired, I wait until the next day to add the second round of indigo.

The results are the same whether I do it the same day or wait a day. Even so, I still find that as my roots grow out, there is some orange in the grey, not a lot, and I am able to use various products to cover it, but I've been doing this 10 years, and the indigo has never "stuck" well.

I've tried glosses and other suggestions I have read about after scouring the forum, but that is just the way my hair is and no tricks seem to help. I am careful of my shampoos, use a clarifying charcoal bar, or other shampoos that have "proper" ingredients and none of the ones we are warned against. I also use Zizyphus Spina Christi as my shampoo a couple of days a week.

That product makes my hair so full and thick, it looks nearly as good as it does the first few days after I henna/indigo it. I have used many many other herbs and herbal combinations, but often have trouble rinsing them out completely, and with all that rinsing, I feel more and more indigo is going down the drain.

Zizyphus SC is the texture of pudding, and it rinses out likek a dream.  But in reading about it, I have read that it is not good to use too often. There is great information on a blog on this site about ZSC that lays out all the reasons to not use it every shampoo.

As far as the indigo, you can try eliminating the baking soda, and using the foaming shampoo to get rid of all excess henna---that did make my most resistant roots darker than usual, but I still need to do the three step process. I thought the longer I did it this way,  perhaps I might need only the two steps, but no, I have always needed to use the 3 steps.

Sorry I don't have better information for you, but this is the way I've had to do it for years now. Perhaps shampooing after rinsing the henna out, and stopping the baking soda that may just do it for you As I said, those gave me darker roots than I had ever had, but still not quite dark enough. Good luck to you. Mishkyn

enissel
admin
resistant roots

Hello,

Have you tried Ancient Sunrise Rainwash? http://www.mehandi.com/product-p/rain_01.htm

Adding 1 teaspoon of table salt to the Indigo can also help with better Indigo uptake. Using distilled water can also help.

Mishkyn
Dear Enissel,

Dear Enissel,

Thanks for your reply, yes, I've tried all of those things, and I've never used anything but distilled water with all my henna and indigo. Found salt or no salt does not really make any difference for me, did it in the beginning for about a year, then forgot and realized it made no difference. A friend gave me all her Sunrise Rainwash, (5 packs) and I liked it, but again, made no difference while I used it.

Afraid I'll just have to get used to my resistant grey and suck it up. Been reading the forum, and of course,  the E-book, for years now looking for tips and tricks, but my grey is just out to get me---and make you richer as I have to use more Indigo! But thanks for trying to help.  Mishkyn

Lotus33
Maybe try adding Amla?

Maybe try adding Amla?

enissel
admin
resistant roots.

Hello,

Have you read our Ancient Sunrise blog?

Here is a great article on resistant roots. https://www.ancientsunrise.blog/full-coverage-roots/