Help the newbie please

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
socalgirl
Help the newbie please

Hi All, I've been studying the forum the last week and though I'm sure some of these topics have been covered in the archives where I haven't stumbled yet, I'm feeling uncertain as to how I should proceed, so am asking for some help.  So, typical story: on a whim, bought the drugstore henna because I am a pretty natural girl and want to color my rapidly increasing grey hair (I'm only 37, so I'm not quite ready just yet to embrace this).. I applied this henna to my light brown hair, and I was  impressed by how well it covered my grey, but it did so in a  flourescent orange color that has faded quite a bit to a lighter super bright orange over the last few weeks and now I am hoping to try again with the goal of getting a nice brownish color (a bit of red is totally okay, I'm just traumatized by a color that could burn your retinas right now, so brown is good in my mind and I want to keep as close to my natural color as possible because I'm lazy and don't want to deal with dramatic roots). I also have fairly fine hair, so was hoping to use the amla to get a little body and extra conditioning. So, after reading all of your very insightful comments about quality products now have received the celebration henna, buxus, and amla from Catherine.  Now, I feel nervous as I approach the actual process.

What is your recommendation for mixing, dye release time, with henna, amla, and buxus? 

Should I mix them all together or do the henna/amla to get the acid dye release and then mix with the buxus with water and add that later just prior to application or do a two or three step process of some kind? 

Also, since my roots are not this bright orange color, should I apply first to my roots for longer to ensure more consistent color or is there some other way to deal with this?

I really love the idea of figuring this out so I can color my hair this way and achieve the great results I've seen on this and the mehandi site, so greatly appreciate your wise advice.  Thanks!

Carrie
Re: Help the newbie please

I'd suggest something like the Butterscotch kit:

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html

and prepare it this way:

"do the henna/amla (the cassia can go in there, too) to get the acid dye release, and then mix with the buxus with warm water and add that later just prior to application"

It's mostly cassia, with equal amounts of henna and buxus by weight. For a less reddish shade, use a little less henna.

If you want it darker than Butterscotch blonde, get the Chai kit (or make a mix similar to that).

Carrie

Oh yeah, about the roots factor. If you feel your length is already getting about as dark as you want, then do a cassia/buxus mix on the length, and do the Butterscotch or chai on the new virgin roots. 

If you can stand for it to get a little darker, just do the Butterscotch or chai mix all over, then next time, do roots-only. If you have fading of buxus on the length at that point, you can do the cassia/buxus mix on the length, or just put a little fresh buxus paste into some conditioner and use it as a gloss for about 30 minutes to tone down the reddish color there.

socalgirl

Thanks Carrie!  That make sense and is very helpful.  I'm going to take the plunge this weekend and can't wait to see the results.