Fine tuning for light brown

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
bornartist
Fine tuning for light brown

I am coming up on one year of henna and am very happy with my hair's texture improving as well as shine. My main problem is I can't seem to get away from the copper color.  I have tried just about everything, I always used mineral water, have used rainwash on occasion which didnt seem to make a difference.  I use nightfall rose for acid. Other suggested trials were:  

1. I went from a 2 hr dye time to 3 hr so the henna binds better for the indigo.  
  2. Added salt to the indigo (improved saturation of color slightly)  
  3. Experimented with dye release, increasing from 12 to 22 hrs  
  4. Added in slightly more acid from 3 to 4 tbs per 100 gms

I recently thought that maybe the cassia was involoved with the red color so I decreased the cassia,              my final ratio of 3:1:1 instead of 4:1:1. Unfortunately, that just increased the coppery color.      

Has anyone tried adding more indigo? I have been cautioned it can give a blue tint, however there is no sign of blue now just the coppery color. My other idea was to use amla for acid? My only other idea is to use straight henna plus indigo and leave cassia out?  Thanks for the "fine tuning" suggestions if any.

enissel
admin
Light Brown

Hello,

Are you using de-mineralized water or distilled water? Distilled water works best for mixing the Henna, Indigo and Cassia because it does not have any minerals or chemicals in it. Using the distilled water for the Rainwash will also help. 

What kind of salt are you using?

Have you tried using Amla instead of Night Fall Rose fruit acid. Amla reduces the orange tones even more than the Night Fall Rose.

bornartist
Hi,

Hi,

I am using distilled water, I also use it with the rainwash. I use iodized Mortons salt.

I have not tried Amla yet that was going to be my next go-to idea,  I saw it may make your hair "fluffy" but I believe I could tame that with conditioner and it is temporary? Is it possible cassia is involved with the orange?

Thanks for your input! :)

enissel
admin
Light Brown

Hello,

Henna is what gives the orange color not Cassia. Amla does make the hair more fluffy temporarily. The fluffiness goes away after a few washings.

I would give the amla a try to see if that tames the orange tones you are getting.

bornartist
Thanks. I’m doing a test

Thanks. I’m doing a test sample now and will get back with my full head of hair result in a week :)

Renee110
I have a question about amla

I have a question about amla for toning down the orange.  I placed my order today for amla.  I have a batch of henna in the freezer for my next use and I used malluma kristalovino for the acid.  Can I incorporporate the amla into the premade frozen mix and if so how?  I am just looking to tone down the orange roots.

enissel
admin
Orange Roots

Hello,

For the Amla to be effective at toning down the orange roots, it has to be used to dye release your henna.  Adding amla to henna that has already been mixed and dye released,  will just make the hair fluffy and not effect the tone.