The lasting power of frozen henna

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Shdwdrgn
The lasting power of frozen henna

It's been a number of years since I've been around, but after last night I just had to share.  I'm male but I do like the color I get from henna, plus the incredible dandruff control, so I've been doing it for a number of years.  I used to color my hair twice a year, but older age tends to slow us down.  As a result of less-frequent usage but continuing the buy the same amounts, I started ending up with quite a collection of extra henna packets in the freezer.  I've just been working through my stash for the past years to get caught up again.

Well last night was the very last packet of old henna, and it turns out it was also the oldest packet... some Jamila from the 2009 crop!  Since it's been almost two years since my previous coverage, most of the color has grown out so I was pretty much starting from scratch.  Also the last few batches I've gone through had decent coverage, but nothing too intense, so I figured I would need to do a second treatment this month to really get some deep color.  Surprise!

My normal mix is done with orange juice plus a bit of honey.  I let it sit for about four hours, then rinsed and conditioned.  It always surprises me just how much conditioner gets sucked up after a henna treatement.  Afterwards I checked in the mirror, and even wet I could see that the color had set really deep and rich.  Now that it's dry this morning I can see we missed a few spots under the back, but the color is just on fire... My mousy-brown hair is now a rich auburn like I haven't seen in quite a number of years.

So not only was the 2009 crop apparently a really good year, but it seems to have lost none of it's color after sitting in my freezing for almost a decade.  Wish I could say the same about the other stuff that gets lost in my freezer.

MayaN
That's wild!  Honey contains

That's wild!  Honey contains natural peroxide, so I wonder if your addition of honey to the mix helped the Jamila penetrate super well, acting as a sort of a "driver" (to borrow a concept from aromatherapy)... not that I know what I'm talking about, but honey does have some interesting chemical properties and I just wonder how that interacts with henna.  

Shdwdrgn
The OJ and honey mix is the

The OJ and honey mix is the same as I've always done, so no changes there that would explain to deeper coloring, but there is certainly a difference between each year's crops that I notice.  Anyway I've done a couple full washes now and the color has definitely held.