Covering Solid Gray Temples and Dark Hair

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
glossgirl
Covering Solid Gray Temples and Dark Hair

Okay, I henndigo'ed my roots again yesterday and I am THRILLED! I admire my hair every chance I get. It's a deep, deep, deep, dark, rich coffee brown, with red highlights.

I've mentioned in many of my posts that the gray clusters at my temple were the hardest thing for me get the way I wanted. I've never seen a thread on this topic, so I'm making one in case anyone else ever deals with this issue. If I hadn't got my temples right, I might have dropped henna entirely. It's that important to me.

I have dark hair with (premature) gray threads and solid gray temples, and I think of myself as a dark haired person with some gray. When I initially looked at Catherine's mohair samples, I looked at the effects different mixes had on dark brown hair, figured out what I wanted to do, and my length came out beautiful. My temples turned a weird, unbecoming bright orange, because they are not brown.  They are not even salt-and-pepper. They are gray, and there is no dark hair surrounding them to mute the color.  The overall effect looked unnatural and, my sister says, silly.

Since I don't think of myself as gray-haired, it never dawned on me that a mix that's perfect for brown or brown/gray hair wouldn't necessarily look good on gray hair. It was difficult and slightly shocking to think of any part of my hair as gray, but the temples are.

So I came up with a henndigo mix for my temples, and it's perfect. I initially used it on all my roots, but something Carrie wrote helped me realize that that's not what I want, either. I don't want to lose the bright red strands in my hair, and I will if I keep turning them brown at the root. So now I've decided to henndigo only my temples and the roots toward the front of my face. I'm going to henna the rest of my roots, and, a few days after I henndigo my temples, I'm going to henna them so they'll pick up red highlights.

So if your gray hair clusters in places, especially around your face, evaluate those sections separately from your brown or black hair. You might well choose a different mix for them.

Alligator
Re: Covering Solid Gray Temples and Dark Hair

Thanks Glossgirl, I was thinking along the same lines.

I have dark hair too. I dont have solid gray temples, but am beginning to have much more gray in that area on the underside. My two henna attempts (after honey lightening to create highlight areas) worked great for the rest of my grays, but not in these areas, which just look unnaturally light orange.

I'm going to try an amla/henna mix just near the front of my face/temples. If that doesnt yield a browner result, I'll do what you did. What henna/indigo mix proportion did you use?

glossgirl

I use about an 80/20 indigo/henna mix.

xyz

Glossgirl,

I'm curious about your routine.  Did I understand correctly that you will...

• hendigo (80 indigo to 20 henna) your temples, where you have clustered grays
  • henna the rest of your hair (which is brown with reddish highlights) at the same time
  • then henna your temples to enhance the reddish glow on those sections

I think I will try something similar (with less indigo in the hendigo) on a friend whose gray clusters remain persistently orange but who doesn't want to "brown" the rest of her dark reddish brown hair (she wants to keep as much overall auburn-red as possible, we're just trying to tone down her once-gray streaks...unfortunately, even very strong glosses are not working on those sections)

Question for you--do you get enough color on your gray clusters with the 80/20 hendigo?  Do they stay dark enough?  And if so, wouldn't it be easier to first hendigo your temples and then henna full head?

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences!

glossgirl

Yes, that's my basic routine, although I haven't yet done a second henna on my clusters. I'm toying with separating out a couple of strands, henna'ing them, and then henndigo'ing the rest of the strands.  My hesitation is that I'd have to use a Q-Tip and really get the shade of red exactly right, which I don't have to do with the hair that's away from my face. If I do it, I might use a 40/60 indigo/henna mix for those strands.

I have had no problems with fading at all. My temples look completely dark brown and natural. I'm actually really surprised and thrilled.

When I used to use chemical dye, I had a weird, harsh line around my forehead. I can't quite describe it, but you know how you see dark-haired people and you can just tell they dye their grays? With the henndigo, I don't have that. My hair looks like I have no gray, like it just grows out of my scalp brown. I'm so happy!

Also, I've decided the rest of my hair is not so much brown with reddish highlights as brown sprinkled with lots of gray. When the henna turns the gray red, those red hairs are a very different color from my red-highlighted brown hair.  Does that make sense? 

I think it's easier to henndigo the temples and henna my whole head at the same time. Everything's already mixed and ready, and that way I just have to do one mermaid soak. But I'm sure it would work just as well to do it separately.

I think this will work very well on your friend.  Just make your mix whatever color you want, add some salt to the indigo (cause it sounds like her grays are resistant?) and she'll be thrilled. Please post what happens!

xyz

Yes, it all makes sense.  Thanks for all your suggestions.  I'll post pictures afterwards. 

LahannL00

I have a question..... My hair is dark brown...scattered throughout with alot of gray....but not so much in the front and just a few at temples...very noticeable bright red after hennaed on my part lines.  Do you think doing a milder 20/80 indigo/henna mix would cover gray and still allow red highlights???  Have been using Henna for 3 years...tried using indigo for past 4 months....have very resistant grays and a very noticeable root line (I have to keep my hair pulled back until I fix problem)...Your sister would definately think I looked silly.    Any advice? 

glossgirl

I'm not enough of a henna expert to know for sure, but I think it would. Maybe Carrie or ACWN or one of the other mavens will weigh in with a definite answer. But your proposed mix sounds like the way to get a browner red that won't cause my sister to come to your house and laugh at you.

Also, do you add salt to your indigo? That really helped the indigo stick to my grays.

xyz

LahannLOO,

Are you trying to make your grays match your mostly dark brown hair while adding some warmth/reddness to the overall color?  If so, read on. If I got your intentions wrong, please disregard.

After a couple of years of 50/50 hendigoes with Punjabi Prime, I've been progressively adding more indigo to the mix, as well as using amla, trying to tame the suddenly increasing grays that look oh-so-glaring amongst my very dark brown hair.  I recently started using Celebration and leaving the hendigo on for a shorter time, and I've finally come to a formula that I'm very pleased with.

My last application was 70% indigo + 30% Celebration henna (with amla) in one step, and it gave my dark brown hair enough of the red glow I like (in bright light) while covering my grays with a deeper shade of red-brown (dark auburn?  mahogany?) that helps them blend in with the surrounding darkness.  The few naturally highlighted areas of my hair still shine through, which makes me very happy.  So, if you're trying to achieve something similar, here are a few things that I've learned along the way through the kind advice of the people who administer and frequent this forum:

• keep the hendigo application around 2 hours, much longer than that and the henna will start taking over the indigo, giving a chance for the grays to end up too bright
  • amla in the henna and salt in the indigo definitely help
  • hair needs to be just washed and towel-dried for the indigo to cling well to those pesky gray streaks--and it's best to use a shampoo that is not too rich or emolient.  I've found that dish soap, liquid hand soap (without moisturizers), baby shampoo, Dr. Bronner's soap, clarifying shampoos, and the shampoo bars sold on this site work perfectly.  Stay away from "frizz control", "smoothing", "sleek look", or super moisturizing formulas that might inhibit indigo intake
  • it's been said ad nauseum, but DO NOT use conditioner or any kind of oils just before your indigo

If after trying these ideas you continue to have difficulties with your graying strands looking too red, your next best option would probably be a strong indigo gloss.  And if that doesn't work, an indigo "second step" (after you have hennaed) ought to do the trick.  Keep at it, it can be done! 

PLEASE--Remember to strand test before you try any new products, ratios, or timing.  This is particularly important when using indigo.

Good luck!

Carrie

A 20/80 indigo/henna mix will give you red/auburn color on the grays. It would deepen the red a bit but not really brown it (not enough indigo there for brown).

shannonmccalla

I have salt and pepper hair- about 5% brown, 60% dark gray and 30% silver-white, and the colors all take henna differently.  The white is mostly at the temples also.  I have tried different mixes, and last night used the Celebration Dk Brown for gray, using about 30 g amla with the henna, then half that mixture with the 200 g indigo.  I didn't want red highlights, especially since my temples tend to be orangeish.  I got a nice overall dark brown.  Just did this last night and left it on for 2 hours.  We'll see how it matures.   I liked the silver but not the iron gray in my hair- in a few years I'll let it go natural again.