question about henna glossing

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
MayaN
question about henna glossing

My daughter wants to try a henna GLOSS.  So, after we let a full strength henna recipe dye release, we plan to mix it with an equal amount of conditioner before appyling it.  We don't use any products with synthetic frangrance, so that rules out cheap drugstore conditioners,  which tend to be heavy on other toxic chemicals as well.  So would it be ok to use our regular orgainic conditioner, even if it contains some hydrolyzed wheat protein?  Would it be ok use just use olive oil or fractionated coconut oil as the "conditioner" portion?  What about just using some organic mayo?  Thanks!   

rchou
admin
Gloss

Hello,

I would recommend just using conditioner. Is there a reason she wants to do a gloss rather than full strength? Normally glosses are used just to lightly refresh the color of a previous henna coloring. The conditioner dilutes the strength of the henna so you'll end up with a more faint, less permanent color, and less of the conditioning benefits of henna. You can choose to do a henna/cassia mix instead, if you want a lighter red tone.

MayaN
Thank you!  She has jet black

Thank you!  She has jet black virgin hair, no gray, and wants just a translucent red tint on top, so that she will still have black hair.  She is olive skinned, so she can't do the warm orange-y tones, prefers the cool (burgundy/cherry) tones.  So I was thinking the Twilight henna would be better for her than the Jasmine henna I have on hand, right?  Her hair is very long, and I definitely don't want it to come out too red, that's why I was thinking it might be safest to start with a gloss and see if that's enough.  

MayaN
Thanks!  She wants to do a

Thanks!  She wants to do a gloss rather than a full strength application because she has naturally jet black virgin hair, no gray, and wants to achieve only a slight red shimmer on top.  I was thinking conditioner rather than cassia, because (unlike me!) she's partial to the cool red tones rather than the warm reds, and cassia is golden (warm).  So I was thinking just the Twilight henna as a gloss might do the trick, if not we could always reapply full strength.  If anyone has had success with using just plain oilive or coconut oil (added AFTER dye release) to make a henna gloss, I'd be curiuos to know if that's an option.      Thanks again!  

enissel
admin
Henna Gloss

I would not recommend mixing olive oil or coconut oil with the henna paste for a gloss. You can use any conditioner you would like, to mix with the henna paste to make a gloss.

MayaN
Thanks!

Ok thank you!