How to adjust my colour from deep reddish brown to ash brown?

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
TinaT
How to adjust my colour from deep reddish brown to ash brown?

I've been using henna for many years now.  I love the deep reds I get from Rajasthani henna.  I used to use it with a bit of indigo but the last half year I have used it on it's own and still got a deep red on my grays.  I've now decided the reddish hair just isn't suiting my face and I want to go back to my natural gray (which is a salt and pepper with dark brown & gray)  Before I do that I want to turn my hair colour as brown as I can get it.  That way it will blend in a little better with my dark brown coming in and I won't have 3 colours in my hair.  I have amla, indigo , & henna but am not sure what combination to mix up (50% henna, 25% indigo, 25% amla?)  and how long to leave it on my hair that's already had henna on it (I normally would go 4 hours doing roots only).    Maybe this isn't the route to take at all and maybe I should just let my gray hair grow in with the red/brown.  It IS lighter than my natural brown that's for sure.  I plan to dye my hair part (I have medium length hair) for a few months in the growing out process.

Any ideas ?  Thanks.   I've checked out ideas from ladies who have gone gray using chemical hair dye but it's a different situation with henna.

rchou
admin
Ash brown

Hello,

You're pretty close. equal parts henna and indigo will result in medium brunette hair (may be darker if you're already starting with a deep red) and the more indigo you add, the deeper the brown. Amla will always be 1/4 of the henna weight, so if you use 100g henna, you'll need 25g amla. The amla will tone out thr redder tones for your more neutral/cool brown.