Confused about dye content accuracy

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
ShaniAZ
Confused about dye content accuracy

When reading the posts here it seems as though Twilight is known to have the highest lawsone content, followed by Monsoon and African, with Jasmine having the least dye content.

The Mehandi sales page says Twilight has 2.8% lawsone, Monsoon has 1.7%, and African and Jasmine have 2%.  The description of Jasmine says it "will not cover cover gray as well as the higher dye content hennas". This seems to indicate the Twilight, with its auburn tones, is the best of all possible options for gray hair, but that Jasmine and African would be the next best possible options. 

Both Jasmine and Monsoon are described as having a "rose" undertone. which confuses me.  Do they have different tones?  Are the descriptions accurate as to lawsone content?

What is the difference between African and Jasmine? They are both listed as being finely sifted with 2% lawsone.

One more quick question (aren't I a pain?): Can you tell me about Kristalovino (Diprotic acid) and Nightfall Rose?  How does each react with Twilight/Monsoon/Jasmine?

THANK YOU! :-)

ex_machina
admin
The lawsone contents are

The lawsone contents are accurate with the present crops.  We just received a new Monsoon shipment and it's out for testing now, so that may change when the stock rolls over.  African and Jasmine are presently the same batch.  We couldn't convince some people who aren't black that henna for African hair wasn't perfectly good for white folks with fragile hair, and vice versa, so we just stopped arguing and gave them different names.  Our present African and Jasmine batch has a higher dye content than usual, that supplier isn't usually that robust.  Nightfall Rose adds an anthrocyanin molecule so there's a subtle swing towards blue to the henna.  Kristalovino will keep the color bright.

ShaniAZ
Whew - all in one breath! ;)
Thank you thank you for your explanations! They provided exactly what I wanted to know. In addition to hair dye I am fascinated by the history of henna and its vitality in many amazing cultures. I am thinking of including henna studies in some research I've been working on, and Dr. Cartwright-Jones' work is an absolutely brilliant resource. I am enjoying this site so much! Your reply about henna names made me smile, because, having curly hair, I have learned that my hair cannot be called "natural" hair. I totally understand why, both personal-identity-wise, and from a marketing point of view. In my case, it means I don't have to try samples of both African and Jasmine. ;) Thank you, again#