Acid mix for henna maximum dye release...how much acid?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
jackie_brown
Acid mix for henna maximum dye release...how much acid?

What's the optimum solution ph in which i'd have to mix henna powder to achieve the maximum dye release?

Lemon juice or vinegar ph is about 3... but i'm scared this solution could be too aggressive on my hair.

Can i use a 50% lemon juice+50% water solution without decreasing dye release?

(Sorry for my English :))

Thanks

long hair lover
Re: Acid mix for henna maximum dye release...how much acid?

Jackie,

If you are afraid of using lemon juice or apple cider vinagar, you don't have to make it all lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. You could add orange juice or a mixture of mostly water with a small amount of the lemon , acv, or orange juices. I , myself like to use very strong brewed Chamomille tea. It is acidic, but it also helps to condition your hair. I use a cup of distilled water to 2 tea bags. Let it sit untill cool, then mix your henna. :)   Long Hair Lover

Carrie
Re: Acid mix for henna maximum dye release...how much acid?

A more acidic mix like all lemon juice (pH between 2 and 3, as I recall) gives you slower dye release, while a neutral mix releases dye more quickly. A very hot mix releases dye instantly, too fast to allow it bind properly with your hair, so the dye fades quickly. Something in the middle, like long hair lover describes, works well for many people. All apple juice is another good option.