how to add light streaks in cassia/henna

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
marepinta
how to add light streaks in cassia/henna

Hey people ... happy to be here!  Long time chemical hair, although Aveda's plant-based always for 20 years now.  No color added in 8 months.  Hair is now pixie cut short, 3" on top and cut above ears and in layers in back.  Still blonde highlight about 1.5" from scalp.  My grey was showing pretty good and have been planning for this change for awhile.  Did Cassia 100g plus 1 tablespoon of Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Jasmine from the Mehandi site.  Added to 100% lemon juice, added 1 teaspoon lavender essential oil. Set for 24 hours, applied to hair, wrapped, waited 4 hours, cleaned.  Also did coconut oil/lemon juice/apple cider vinegar on my hair the day before plus clarifying shampoo.  Color came out nice golden with copper highlights and bit of lemony on previously bleached 2" top. 

I used to be natural white blonde as a kid, strawberry blonde for years, but started coloring for consistency once it turned dishwater blonde.  I like this color but would like more white-blonde or lighter streaks in it.  

Can I apply lemon juice to chunky strands and allow to whiten in the sun?  I am outdoorsy person and my haircut is messy pixie.  I like it that it isn't all the same.  This golden color is just a bit too golden to give my face the lift that helps me feel like me.

I considered actual clothes bleach but would prefer something less harsh.  Also I am a chicken.

any advice very much appreciated.  Love that you have this forum!  My hair is in great feel condition!

thanks, ann

marepinta
how to lighten

ok ... so no one answered ... lol 

I remembered reading in some of my pre-research that if it comes too dark, you lighten "commercially" ... so I got some Sun-In spray and applied very sparingly to top of my head.  I started out spraying a comb heavily and then coming through to try to get separate areas, then lightly sprayed over the top and back.  Went out in the beautiful sunny weather to ride my horse and play a bit.  Four hours later I got home and showered.  I love it!

This is 2 days after initial cassia/henna dye and all bright garish color has muted and softened.  The little extra bit of sun-in on the top has bleached streaks coming through everything.

My roots are their usual dark/darker, my main haircolor would be called light copper maybe or copper/blonde, then there is a nice smattering of blonder highlights.  I love it!  

Will try to upload a decent picture.

m_moore
admin
Hi there! You can use lemon

Hi there! You can use lemon juice that is okay!  I would not recommend the clothes bleach as that is way to harsh for the skin and hair.  There are bleaches that are safe for hair at a lot of beauty supplies that can help, though =]