Henna balm

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nicole
Henna balm

I've been seeing different henna balms on various henna sites that are supposed to help protect your stain from water so it can last longer.  How effective are these?  Are there certain ingredients that are key, some that don't help at all, or some that actually have a negative effect?  Does anyone have a recipe for making your own?

There are a couple of people selling all natural soaps and lotions at my local farmers' market, and I wanted to see if I could find something that there would do the trick, but I need to know which ingredients to look for/avoid.

Thanks!

jamilahhennacre...
Re: Henna balm

I make mine with 1 part organic shea butter, one part bee's wax and 1 part grapeseed oil.  I then add some nice oil for scent.  I've used sweet orange and lemon grass, bakhour and arabian rose. 

Mani

Avoid products with a petroleum base.  These seem to make the stain disappear faster.  This includes baby oil, mineral oil, Vaseline, and lip balms containing petroleum or petrolatum (ChapStick, Carmex, etc...).  Cocoa butter, olive oil, shea butter, etc... are all excellent bases for aftercare balms.  I generally use either Henna Caravan's awesome aftercare balms, or Burt's Bees lip balm.

Nicole
Thanks is there any special way to prepare it or just mix it together? Where can you find those ingredients?
jamilahhennacre...

I prefer to use a double boiler method... some microwave it, but that makes the wax get way too hot.  So melt the shea and wax and then take it off the heat, put the oil in, mix it quick, add scent at the last possible moment and then pour into your tins.

Nicole

For the scent do you just use essential oils?  How much do you use?

Where might I be able to find these ingredients?  I have no idea even where to start looking.  lol