Can you use bleach on Henna?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Emlawrence77
Can you use bleach on Henna?

I have been using Henna for about two years.  I was wondering if you can put bleach on Henna to lighten and then use chemical dyes?  What will happen to the hair?

m_moore
admin
As long as the henna has been

As long as the henna has been lab tested, it is perfectly fine! I would test on a small area, just to make sure you won't get any colors that are unappealing to you.

Rosetta
Actually, the henna doesn't

Actually, the henna doesn't need to be lab tested, just pure, which in my experience most henna is. But strand testing is really a good idea, just to be sure of that, too.

m_moore
admin
With all due respect, it

With all due respect, it really does need to be lab tested.  If you put bleach on henna that has not been tested, and has additives in, it can cause a chemical reaction causing burns or melted hair.

ex_machina
admin
The point of lab testing is

The point of lab testing is to be objectively certain that the henna is indeed pure because purity can't be judged solely by eye or the claims of the exporter.

A single henna mill typically processes product for many different distributors and unless the mill is thoroughly cleaned after each batch, any adulterants in one batch can contaminate the next batch or batches to be processed.

We once found significant traces of green dye in a batch of henna from India because a previous batch processed by another distributor in the same mill had been mixed with dye, a trick some henna companies use to make their henna appear more "fresh" to their buyers. We couldn't have seen the small amount of dye in a visual inspection but a laboratory assay identified it and told us exactly how much was accidentally mixed in with what appeared to be "pure" henna.

tbonita
it will probably go bright

it will probably go bright orange. you'll need very heavy bleach to get an appealing blonde.  ask me how i know lol

m_moore
admin
It can have an orange tone,

It can have an orange tone, but not always.  If you go to the Ancient Sunrise Henna group on facebook you can see some work I've done with hi lighting over henna.  You don't always need a heavy bleach.  I don't recommend bleaching at home, but I know there are stylists that won't touch hennaed hair.  Heavy bleach is not always the best.  It's about quality.  The higher the quality, the better the lift.  The lower the quality, the poorer the lift. Also lower quality bleach will cause more orange tones on henna than a higher quality bleach.  Most henna, then do hilights at a salon, then henna over it for a diversity.