I hope someone can help. I henndigoed for the first time ever four weeks ago and I'm devastated at how dry my hair has become. In addition to henna killing my curl, my hair is hard and straw-like. And everytime I wash the water runs brown. Fyi, I used apple juice as my liquid; no other acid was used and I kept it in for four hours. Two weeks after that I performed a 20-min amla-only treatment to try to get some of the curl back. I saw slight restoration but my hair was even drier. I have deep conditioned with heat every week since then but there is no change. My hair is stronger but is no longer soft like it used to be and sometimes it even snaps. It never used to do that. My questions are as follows:
1. Is henna supposed to fade/bleed with each wash?
2. Is there another type of henna that is less drying? I loved the color so much after the immediate application that I bought more but I'm now afraid to use it.
3. Is there a henna recipe that's less drying? I've read where people have used coconut milk but I think that has protein and could make things worse. Has anyone tried coconut milk to ameliorate dryness of hennaing?
4. If I try a henndigo gloss -- just henna + indigo + and conditioner -- could it cover grays?
5. If these options aren't feasible, is it okay to put demi- or semi-permanent color over henna? Just on the roots that are now showing?
Thanks for reading. I hope someone can help. By the way, my hair is texturized.