First time henna user

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
magpip
First time henna user

I am anxiously waiting for my henna, should be here Thursday. I have been obsessivly reading about it for the past few days. My natural color is dark brown with a few greys, my hair has always been in good condition, no severe damage. I occasionally flat iron my hair and color it about 3 times a year with Wella Color Charm, I've always stayed in the brunette family, but recently have been wanting a change in color. About a week ago, after much internet info and youtube videos, I ventured off to purchase Loreal Hicolor Reds for dark hair... I had just barely started reading about henna and didn't want to deal with the mess, especially since we're renting at the moment, and I read horror stories about stained tubs and clogged drains.  :o Well, lets just say the RED was more pink and not the deep auburn color I was expecting. So after some more internet searches I ran out and got Color Oops extra conditioning and Garnier Olia in Med. Brown. I haven't used a drugstore hair color in years, but since it was Thanksgiving and I'm known to be impatient, that's what I did. I THOUGHT I rinsed the Color Oops out well enough, but here I am 6 days later with pinkish/orangey roots and pinkish/reddish/brownish hair. The good news is, my hair doesn't appear to be damaged from all of that nonsense. 

I guess my question is will the henna blend all of it together? I ordered Ancient Sunrise® Rajasthani Twilight. I don't think it will make my hair color look worse than it does now, but since I've never used henna, I really have no clue. Most of the pics I've seen online are of people who have lighter hair than I do, but the ones that have darker brunette all seem to get a beautiful deep auburn color, which is what I want. :) 

m_moore
admin
Good evening!

Good evening!

Henna is transluscent... it blends nicely, but you will still have dimention.  For example, parts of your hair that are lighter, will ramain a lighter shade, and the darker parts will remain a darker shade.  You can always strand test on some hair first. 

Also, for henna, the longer you leave it on, the deeper the color it gets ;)

magpip
Thanks for the reply!

That's what I wanted to hear... I think I'm going to aim for at least 6 hours. :) I should have it tomorow. I'm super excited, will probably do it over the weekend! :) I recently cut my long hair shoulder length (which, of course I regret now!) So I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to get on my head. 

m_moore
admin
Anytime!  I wish you the best

Anytime!  I wish you the best of luck!  Henna is actually really cool.  It may seem messy- but in all honesty...it is less messy than hair color.. I am a stylist, but I am also messy, especially when I do my own hair.. and henna doesn't stain walls like red hair color does ;)

Also-- henna makes hair stronger- so it will help your hair from breaking- thus less split ends and breakage- making your hair grow healthy and because your hair won' t be splitting, your hair will actually grow nicely!! =]

Use your hands and apply it thickly!

magpip
Woo whooo!

I just got my order in the mail. Couple questions regarding strand testing and mixing... Do I mix the whole batch and freeze it if I plan on using the henna the next day or can I just put it in the fridge? Also I don't have enough hair in my brush to test and my hair isn't long, so I'm going to have to get creative with that. :/ I'm going to keep it simple, water and lemon juice for mixing. I can't wait! 

magpip
so...

I just re-read about mixing, do I use only lemon juice and no water? I was so confused at the store today, the lemon juice in the little plastic lemons and bottles all said from concentrate, is that ok? I ended up just buying a bag of lemons and will squeeze them, but now I don't know if it'll be enough. 

m_moore
admin
If you plan on using it the

If you plan on using it the next day, you can just store it in the fridge, as long as it has sat previously for dye releasing =]

I would suggest using half lemon juice and half water, although this can make the scalp itchy since it can be a little drying. 

Using it from concentrate is okay.

Apple juice is a little more gentle on the scalp =]

magpip
It's a miracle!!

Since I was a teenager, my hair has been a crazy, frizzy mess. When I discovered flat irons, I was one happy girl. But ALWAYS after the blow-dry and before the flat iron, my hair was crazy. Even at the salon, my stylist could never seem to get it smooth and sleek without a flat iron. Well... yesterday that all changed! 

I mixed my henna on Thursday around 2pm, I used mostly lemon juice, but didn't quite have enough so I mixed a bit of apple with it. I had been reading so much about henna the days prior to me recieving it in the mail (I got Rajasthani Twilight), maybe too much because I thought I read that the dye release takes about 4 hours with lemon juice. :/ Well, that was wrong and we don't stay up late, so staying up till maybe 2am or later to catch the release wasn't gonna happen. I did some quick reading here on the forums and read that if you put it in the fridge it will slow the release down but not stop it. So that's what I did. Woke up the next morning comepletey stressed that I ruined the batch. But pulles it out of the fridge and put it near the heater vent. Checked every hour for release and at around 2 hours I got the most orange I had seen, so I thought it was moving along. Checked again 30 min later and it wasn't as orange so now I think I did something wrong. Maybe I missed the release all together. Slightly panicking, I proceeded to go ahead and slop it on my head. 

I had read over and over about how messy it can be, but I think it was so much easier than using chemical dyes, I didn't have it dripping and splattering all over. The red dye I used a couple weeks ago is still sitting stained on the bathroom counter. (wonderful, since this rental house is a pit stop for us while we house hunt for our permanent home) That's another reason, in fact, that I hesitated using henna in a rental, the mess everyone was talking about! And after my red dye experience, I always used brown hair dye before, didn't know red stained so bad, :( I didn't want to risk the horror stories I read about (henna dripping all over, clogged pipes) But I just couldn't wait and was willing to fix whatever may happen. Fortunately, none of that occured. 

My goal was to leave it on for 6 hours, by 10am it was on my head wrapped and sealed. AT 4pm I filled the tub up, did a quick "mermaid soak", tried to use gloves, but that was dumb, because I wasn't able to keep the top of the gloves out of the water, so off they went, orange hands don't scare me. ;) The rinse was also quite easy compared to some of the stories I've read. I do think using so much lemon juice may not be the best option for my hair. My hair is in good condition, but that much lemon sure made it dry and it did become difficult to seperate around the crown during the rinse even with conditioner trying to aid. So I washed and slathered the conditioner on, it helped enough, but next time I don't think I'll use so much. 

Now it's time to remove the towel and check out the result... it's a reddish, orangey color mostly at the roots and crown, I think that's just how it should look, so I was happy with the color, definitely looking forward to the oxidizing though since a deep auburn is what I'm hoping for. Time to plug in the hair dryer and really get a good look at the color. At this point, I'm not expecting anything different with the condition/texture since my hair has been a consistant ball of frizz after the hair dryer is done playing with it, this has been since the beginning of time. Plus I could tell my hair felt a little weird, maybe from the lemon juice, so if anything I was expecting my hair to feel stringy and/or dry for a few days. Well, there was a moment during the drying process that I think hell froze over, something different was happening, or not happening, my hair was NOT frizzing up like it normally does! What the heck is going on, I wondered?! After it was all dry I just stood there with my jaw on the floor, my hair looked good, it looked darn good and it felt wonderful. That's when I decided I didn't care what color my hair turned out, the condition my hair was in is worth using henna alone! The side by side picture is showing the difference after the blow-drying. I didn't do anything different after either and I had know idea that I would be using henna at the time I was trying to correct my color on 11/27, that is how my hair looked after everytime I dried it, even if I went a year without coloring it, it was always crazy. 

The lighting wasn't good in my bathroom, I will try and get better ones today, but it's rainy and the sun doesn't want to come out and play. I'm going to take another photo in a few days after it oxidizes. It's much more orangey than it looks in the photos though. 

And that's that. I'll never use chemical dyes again and I'm on a mission to convert everyone I know to try henna. I already ordered more.

So now a couple questions:

1) If my hair is still too orange after it oxidizes, would doing another treatment change that?

2) Can I use tea and lemon juice, I think I just used too much fresh lemon juice, I mixed 200g of henna and had a little over 1 1/2 cups lemon juice, the rest was apple, but the apple was a very small amount. I'll be better prepared for the release next time also. :) 

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/mrsd211/Henna%20Hair/holyjesusPic...

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z54/mrsd211/Henna%20Hair/WP_20141205_...

magpip
more photos...

Added some more photos, can't wait to look back at the timeline of photos in a year or two and see how much it's changed. 

http://s189.photobucket.com/user/mrsd211/slideshow/Henna%20Hair

m_moore
admin
I enjoyed reading your post

I enjoyed reading your post and I thank you very much for posting it as well!  I think a lot of first time henna users are going through the same thought process in the beginning of the horror stories. 

It looks great!  Henna is pretty awesome =]

You did the right thing- putting in the fridge does help slow down the process. 

Cranberry juice and apple juice are much more gentle on the hair than lemon =]

magpip
Almost 4 days later and I'm still in awe!

Oh how I wish I did henna years ago! I just can't get over the condition of my hair. :) 

Will cranberry juice affect the color at all? I've read that it may boost more red? I also read that tea can dry out the hair too. I would like a bit quicker dye release, I'm not convinced I had a full one when I used the henna, but I panicked since the test seemed slightly lighter than the one 30 min before. I think next time, I'm going to mix it in the morning, watch it real good and if it's too late in the day to apply when I get the release, I'll put it in the fridge. Or should I freeze it if using the next day? What's the best tea to use? I read chamomile can boost red. The top to 1/4 way down my head seemed to get the color, the rest looks fairly unchanged. Kinda funny, it looks like my natural color is the redder one and I'm growing the dark color out. Is there a way to blend it more? Should I re-do the henna on the top? I suppose over time, as my hair grows, it'll all be blended better. Patience isn't a strong point for me when it comes to my hair. haha ;) Henna is teaching me patience, that's for sure!! I guess my goal with the color is a deep, dark cherry cola color, I'm just not sure what the best mixes are. So many options!  

(And I feel like Buddy the elf asking all the questions!) =]

m_moore
admin
Yay!!

Yay!!

Cranberry juice helps the red pop a little more =]

Tea is something I don't recommend for sure- it can cause headaches

If you let it sit fo r8-12 hours, you can just put it in the fridge if you aren't ready to use it, if you plan on using it within 24 hours.  Any longer and I would recommend leaving it in the freezer.

I honestly would do a rain wash before, then leave the henna on, as time goes on it will for sure blend better!

Haha,  I understand! I have patience for everybody elses hair, except my own =]

Sleeping in it can help, that way you just put it on the night before, sleep in it, wake up and shower!

Haha it is all good! Ask any questions you need to =]

magpip
Thank you!

I think I will skip the tea and sleep in it next time. That should be an interesting nights sleep! Can you mix juices? Say 1/4 lemon and the rest cranberry? 

Rain wash... I'll check it out more, I saw it mentioned here and there but didn't really read what it's all about. 

You're so helpful, thank you! :) ;) 

m_moore
admin
Awesome! 

Awesome! 

You sure can mix juices.  That is perfectly fine=]

It is some pretty awesome stuff, that rainwash!

Anytime!  I wish you the best of luck!

Maria

magpip
Wondering about doing a 2nd application,

as much as I like the current color I have, I would like it a tad darker/deeper. Would I achieve that with a 2nd application? Would the result potentially be redder, darker or both? Thinking about mixing up a batch and doing it tomorrow which would be about 1 1/2 weeks from my 1st application. Is this too soon? 

I'm so paranoid about missing the dye release too! So if I mix it and it releases before bedtime, I can stick it in the fridge overnight without losing it, yes? Would it start going away in the fridge? I'm planning on using lemon and apple juice (mostly apple), hoping for an 8 hour release if I keep it warm and cozy. If not, I'll be up late I guess. :/

m_moore
admin
It would make it both darker,

It would make it both darker, and deeper... Perhaps leave it on for about 2 or 3 hours.  Exactly! You can put it in the fridge =]

It is not too soon at all =]

Best of luck!! It is ok if it is out for 12 hours as well =]