Indigo problems

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mirrorpool
Indigo problems

I have been using hendigo for several years and could use some advice.  I recently started using Zekhara after using Sudina indigo for several years.  However it seems that the mix is not working.  Instead of a darker indigo, it seems that I am ending up with a “watered” down henna, my roots are a blondish orange (my natural roots are white). My henna isn’t old, I purchased it in Sept and have been storing it in the freezer since.  I am washing my hair in dish soap beforehand, adding salt to the indigo, nothing has changed but the kind of indigo.  I’m a little dumbfounded. 

A separate “issue”:  I have never been able to get a brown with the hendigo.  The most I can get is a cool and dark red.  If I up the amount of indigo I end up not having enough henna in the mix to do a deep dye on my roots, they end up very light.  I understand that indigo doesn’t stick to white hair very well, but I can’t even get brown on the first day.  I have been leaving the mixture in for about 2 hrs (I do a 50/50 mix and use Alma for my dye release) because that is what I was reading here years ago when I started using henna (as the henna would outlast the indigo).  Now it seems that it is recommended that hendigo is to be left on longer.  Would this help at all?

Thanks!

m_moore
admin
Good afternoon!

Good afternoon!

I have a few questions-

1) Do you freeze your indigo?

2) What is your process before using a henna/indigo mixture?

3) Do you use conditioner on a regular basis?

I would suggest leaving it on for about 4 hours.   If you have resistent gray, you could even try a rainwash before using henna and indigo. http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

~Maria

Mirrorpool
 Re: Indigo problems

1. No, I don’t freeze the indigo.  
  2. I mix the alma/henna with distilled water and let sit for around 10-12 hrs and make sure I get a good stain.  I wash my hair with dish soap, no conditioner.  I mix salt/indigo with lukewarm distilled water and let that sit for about a minute before mixing with the henna.  I put it on my head immediately and do the usual saran wrap/towel stuff.
  3. I have fine, thin hair and a scalp prone to dryness so I only wash and use a light conditioner twice a week.  Rarely any hair products.  I even do a baking soda rinse once in a while.  

I usually leave my hair alone for several days after the dying so that indigo can “get in there”.  Usually, no matter how well I rinse on dye day, I get blue beads of water on the sides of the shower for the first few washes after dying.  I had none of that today and it was the first wash after dye.

Is there any way I could have gotten an “off” batch?  Is there any way for me to test it’s potency?  I will try the rainwash/4 hrs, I’m just not sure if I should get new indigo (or even go back to the kind I used previously).  

irinadax
I have found a similar

I have found a similar situation in my two step. I have done a two step for years to get black hair. For some reason I can't get black anymore. The two steps stays black for about two weeks then fades to brown. This never happened before and I haven't changed my method. Indigo used to really stick to my hair and now it doesn't. Today I noticed that the indigo was a different brand or from a different region and I wondered if that could be it.  Also please note I have only ever used henna and Indigo from mehandi. It's just for a while now that I've noticed the indigo simply not sticking no matter what I do. 

m_moore
admin
Good morning! 

Good morning! 

Indigo is a crop so it changes from batch to batch.  Hair also changes as time goes on, so it is hard to say.  We offer both Sudina and Zekhara indigo.  Try a  teaspoon of salt for every 100g of indigo used.

Make sure to not condition the hair prior to using indigo, and leave it on for about 2-3 hours.  You may need to do an indigo gloss about 2 weeks into it.  This is 2 teaspoons of indigo powder, then mixed with distilled water into a paste, then added into 1/2 cup of conditioner.  Leave this on for 20 minutes then shampoo and condition as normal.

Check your shampoos and conditioners for heavy oils and sulphates.  Coconut oil can pull indigo out a little bit as well as baking soda and apple cider vinegar.

If you have more questions, I can help you on here, or at helpdesk@mehandi.com

Happy holidays!!

chuckles
Vinegar o.k. for resistant gray?

"Coconut oil can pull indigo out a little bit as well as baking soda and apple cider vinegar."  Yet I just opened my latest order of Henna and Indigo and noticed new instructions post-indigo application that say "If  hair still has many tangles, rinse with a mix of 1/2 apple cider vinegar and 1/2 water".  My hair does indeed tangle after my 2-step, so something that would help that is great but not at the expense of barely-covered gray!  What's  the scoop on ACV and gray hair, esp. resistant gray?  Thanks in advance for all help :-)

m_moore
admin
A little bit of apple cider

A little bit of apple cider vinegar wont harm it-- in fact unless you are doing acv rinses every day/every other day, you won't notice a change as much.  The best thing to do before applying the plant paste to resistant hair is Rainwash treatment, followed by a shampoo.  Also make sure you are using distilled water with the indigo ;)