Too much of a good thing?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Beanut
Too much of a good thing?

Short Version –

If you have really dark hair that henna won’t change the color of, is there still a reason to limit how often you henna your full head of hair each week/month/year?

Long Version -

I've been using henna/indigo from this site for years (and loving it)! My hair is pretty dark at this point - dark brown to black - so I never really have any need to do anything other than my roots, because henna probably wouldn't really show up very much on my dark length (past the shoulders).  My hair has ended up darker than I intended, but I’m fine with it. If somehow the henna did turn it redder, I’d be fine with that too. So if color is not an issue/factor, I’m wondering if there is a limit to how many times you should put henna on the full length of your hair?  I know henna is extremely healthy for your hair, but it seems like with almost anything, too much of it can turn into something not so good for you, is that the case with henna also?

Thank you!!!

m_moore
admin
Re: Too much of a good thing?
Hi there =]

You are right- too much of a good thing is never good.. but you don't have to worry about this as much with henna unless you are doing your full head every week..  or doing a series of deep conditioning treatments with henna.

People tend to touch up their whole heads 1 to 2 times a year
But it is ok if you do it every month- but it will get darker because it's translucent =]

Maria

Beanut
Thanks for the reply/info!!
I'm not sure what you mean about my hair getting darker because the henna is translucent?? I'm fine with the henna making my hair more red, but I didn't think henna could really do that over indigo or with really dark hair?
mamaherrera
I often wonder the same thing.  My roots close to my temples become obvious very soon and because I Like to put my hair up, they become obvious more so.  So I henna my roots weekly.  But lately I've read that henna causes cuticle damage??  ANyone know if it's true or why so or how to avoid it.  It makes me so sad because I like to do henna, but not at the expense of damaging my hair.  Just wondering on thoughts about this cuticle damage thing. 
m_moore
admin
Henna does not damage the cuticle =] Anything from temperatures to the sun can open up the cuticle =] As long as the henna is pure it will be fine
Jora
Mamaherrera....I henna my hair about once a month (and that's a lot of work for me). How do you henna your roots once a week? I ask because if you have an easy system, I might give it a try...Thanks in advance!
bonnie
I henna my roots every 1-2 weeks because I have 95% white hair and I don't like my roots to show.  I have arthtritis and holding my arms over my head for a long time is painful.

To decrease the amount of work, I put together a mix that is a little thinner.   I apply with the kind of brush used for chemical hair color.  Starting at the front over one ear, I part my hair from front to back, apply, part again, apply and so on.  To make sure I don't miss applying to the roots on the back of my head, I use mix that is very cold from the refrigerator so I can feel it.  I then add a plastic cap and a pretty scarf. 

Total time for application is 10 minutes because I"ve gotten pretty fast.  If I don't get the best coverage, no problem because I do it so often.  I only use 1/2 of a package for my roots.  If I have any left, I freeze it in a carrot bag.

Bonnie
Jora
Thanks Bonnie! I really appreciate your instructions. My gray roots also show very quickly (every week!!), and I just dye my hair in between hennas (I know I know but I have no choice)! One last question...how long do you leave it on for roots? Thanks again!