What would just indigo and cassia produce on brown hair?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
KristiinCO
What would just indigo and cassia produce on brown hair?

What would just indigo and cassia produce on brown hair?  I am thinking of abandoning this just because I do not like the outcome of just 50% cassia/25% twilight henna/25% indigo.  My hair is definitely more red than I wanted. 

I just wanted my brown hair with the gray looking like blonde highlights.

cosmetologist.lady
Re: What would just indigo and cassia produce on brown hair?
Indigo and cassia will produce a green/blue color. Indigo alone will produce a blue-green dye, which means mixing it with cassia will simply create a lighter blue-green color. Lighter colors NOT containing red are always much more difficult to achieve with natural products. When entering the world of natural plant dyes, it is always best to keep in mind that the results will vary and experimentation is required. Everyone has different hair. These are not chemicals that will give you exact results. If you have questions about mixing and application, please do not hesitate to contact us directly at helpdesk@mehandi.com. We are often busy and cannot always answer forum questions as quickly as they are posted. Our email inbox and phone lines are the best way to contact us for information directly. Thank you! :)
Ophelia
Re: What would just indigo and cassia produce on brown hair?
Hey Kristiin (if you're still around, I know you're frustrated with all this plant dye stuff, as I just read your previous posts!) My mom's friend has hair that sounds similar to yours ( medium-ish brown with gray - her "grays" are pure white - running through it) I got her to use cassia and it's been very successful. What she does is mix the cassia (don't know what amount, but I think about 50g, her hair is a couple of inches past shoulders,) with cool chamomile tea, a splash of lemon juice (because I read a more acidic mix helps with gray coverage, gray hair can be resistant to dyes) and a small amount of rhubarb powder (not too much, as it's YELLOW but it does make the cassia color more goldenish used in small amounts) She lets it dye release overnight, adds some honey in the morning (this won't affect the color) and leaves on for about 4 hours. Her grays are now light golden blonde. She does it every 2 weeks because of white roots starting to show. Of course, the cassia also makes her hair feel thicker so that's a bonus! It makes her hair look like a lighter brown with natural golden highlights. As you know the cassia won't affect darker hair (especially as yours now has indigo in it) but it might be something to try for the roots. As you now know, henna and indigo basically have to be grown out when you're tired of them (or dyed over with a darker color, but henna often shines red even through that!) I'm growing out henna myself and it's a slow painful business. I had 10" cut off last week and still have a long way to go (my natural color's blonde, so it looks even worse) I've been dying over the whole lot with semi permanent dyes in various shades of brown for the last year (the ones that wash out in 8 washes, they don't damage the hair) Something like this might also be an option for you (they're not supposed to cover gray hair, but they might make it a lighter version of the color giving a "highlighted" effect.