Switch to chemical dyes

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kyo
Switch to chemical dyes

Hello!

Can I use chemical dyes on my previously hennaed hair? I've been hennaing my hair since a year now, and now I'm totally bored of my hair colour. Will the colour of henna appear over the colour of chemical dye? I want to change to some very light purple-ish colour in a while, but i'm not daring to change this fast, cause i'm afraid I will end up with some very ugly colour.

Maybe I should start with similar (copper) red dyes? And how long should I wait between my last hennaing and dyeing with chemicals?

Naturally I will do a strand test to see if the dye won't react with the henna (but I used to bleach it a little, to have copper red hair with henna, so i hope there won't be any problems...)

Please, give me some advice on this topic!

Thank you for your help!

ACWN
Re: Switch to chemical dyes

It depends on what kind of henna you used and how recently you henna-ed last.

If you bleached your henna-ed hair with no horrible reaction, then you should be fine to chemically dye it. However, things you need to know is that its probably going to come out much darker than what you were expecting and it may not last very long... 2 weeks at best, one wash at worst. If its been several months since you henna-ed, then it might last a bit longer.

You'll want to strand test for color.

You will have to wait for the light purple until the henna grows out and you trim it off because you will end up with a weird color - maybe not nasty, but probably weird.

Kyo

Thank you for your advice!

I used natural henna (at least on the package there's a list and it says, it only contains henna and some other natural stuff like amla) so that shouldn't be a problem, and I henna-ed like a month ago.

So you say I should start dying with a light copper red, because it will probably turn out some dark red?

Okay probably I will buy some "close to henna red" colour dye, and do a strand test--> if there's no horrible result then dye... and slowly changing the colour to my dream colour, if it's not washing out after 2 days.

ACWN

You'll probably want to get a color lighter than what you're looking for, that way it doesnt go too dark. Strand test for both color and to make sure you dont have a weird reaction. But again, if you bleached the henna with out any weird reactions, you should be fine.

After you dye your hair a few times with chemicals, you shouldnt have a problem with it staying better. Chemical dye sits on the hair shaft, and henna makes the shaft smooth... making it hard for chemical dye to hold on. Once you rough up the shaft (for example damaging it with chemical dyes), the dye can hold on better.

The only way I know to get a very distinct light purple color is if you're doing it on bleach blond hair, and its very hard to get that with henna in it. This is why I suggested waiting until the henna is trimmed from your hair,

Kyo

Sorry for the late answer, but i haven't been close to pc in the last days!

Thank you for the advice, I think I will wait with changing colours then, and stay with some kind of reds for a while! I already bought the lightest copper red that was available, hopefully it won't be too dark, or won't make a weird shade if I apply it on my previously henna-ed hair. (And hopefully there won't be ssuch a big difference between my roots and my hair lenght...)

I can't end up with green-ish hair, can I ?

Carrie

If the dye you used contained only plant dyes (you cannot always trust what is written on the box, though - some countries/manufactuerers are lax about labeling), and no indigo, then you should not get greenish results when using chemical dyes over that.