Can't handle the smell

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
mamakim85
Can't handle the smell
I just got my henna today. I mixed up the sample amount up with cranberry juice to let it set over night and it.smells.horrible. it is actually making me nauseous. Is there anything I can add to it (include amount please) to help it smell better without altering the color result? Additional question about application. I plan on leaving it on my head for about 4 hours because my hair is already kind of dark (about dark to medium I would say) but I have roots that are a shade or two lighter. Would leaving it on the roots for 2 hours longer be enough to get a color match? How quickly does henna darker each hour? Thanks!
ACWN
Re: Can't handle the smell

Aww! Sorry to hear that. Yeah, henna's scent isn't for everyone, its very particular. You can add a little ginger and cloves (about a tablespoon total per 100g) to change the smell. Pumpkin pie spice mix also works pretty well.

From what I understand (and keep in mind that this information is older and may be totally incorrect now), henna tends to darken drastically from two hours to four hours, but not so much from 4 to 6 and even less so from 6 to 8. Plant dyes like henna are interesting in that they become much darker when applied back to back as they build in layers. So two shorter applications (IE two 2 hr ones) will be darker than a single long application of the same length (IE a 4 hour application).

This is all just guess work without seeing your color, but... If your length is chemically colored, it will probably take the dye differently than your virgin roots. You may not need to leave the henna on your roots longer. What I would suggest is applying all over for the same amount of time and give it 3 - 4 days to settle (it will be OMG! orange the first few days). If after that your roots are still a whole lot lighter than your length, you can do just your roots again to even them out.

In that case, I would suggest a gloss. A gloss is henna diluted by conditioner to weaken th e color. I would do 75g conditioner and 25g paste for about an hour - hour and a half.

Also keep in mind that if you don't want your length getting any darker, you'll want to apply to your roots only from that point on and if you do find your roots are too light, you may want to leave it on for an extra hour or so.

Sigolinde
I too thought the smell of henna was vile when I first started; sort of a mix of tainted spinach and bat guano.  I found ginger, nutmeg, cloves and scented oil aromas all to be in direct conflict with the "earthy" smell of henna and made the gag-fest worse.  I decided to lean in to the spinach odor and added some garlic power and some oregano.  It smelled like I had a little spinach pizza cooking under my toboggan and I could finally stand it.  The pizza smell rinses out with the henna and a fragrant conditioner.  I guess people build up a tolerance to the smell because I'm now in my second year of using henna and I don't have to add anything at all...so hang in there.
mamakim85
Thank you so much!
CCartwrightJones
admin
Uptake depends on the structure of your keratin.  Some hair sucks up lawsone fast.  Some doesn't. Can't really say .... 
Put ginger in your henna mix.  That helps kill off the gaaak smell.  Also, I find citrus juice to be less gaggous than other fruit juices.