Henna on Natural Strawberry Blond Greying No Pictures

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
RedCyn
Henna on Natural Strawberry Blond Greying No Pictures

I looked everywhere but didn't find any photos of over 40 redheads going grey. My hair has been described as light auburn (back in the late 70's when red or strawberry blond was a no-no in the fashion industry, yes, really) or strawberry blond when I purchased scrunchies from Just For Redheads that matched my real hair color.

Real natural hair color 23 years ago. 1991July13

Picture with color treatment that broke off hair

2013NaturalRedHairGreying

I noticed my hair was getting duller and blond as I approach my late 40's. I tried chemical dyes, but my hair started breaking off in chunks, I actually started going bald.

Henna on greying natural redhair day 1

So I shaved my hair off an inch long and waited about a month for the bald spot to fill in, then tried henna.

Before henna Henna on greying natural redhair day 1

I used Ancient Sunrise® Rajasthani Monsoon, batch ##102313hG mixed per webpage directions with lemon juice. Being winter, I put the entire bowl up in the microwave to keep my cats out the mix while it warmed up over night.

I put on my head with these lovely blow dry shrink wrap plastic caps, then let the mix sit on my hair for 6 hours. The shampooed out and conditioned. I was bright clown orange for about a week, but that was fine as I had a few steampunk events to attend, hahah.

Hair immediately after shampoo, you can see the shock on my face :) Henna on greying natural redhair day 1

About a week later, it turned to a beautiful bright copper. I have posted my pics on the flicker page so other light redheads can see the results on greying red hair.

My hair color about week later. 2014-01-25 13.25.19

It is about a shade darker than my hair was before the grey, although in the pictures next to the scrunchies it looks much darker. My hair is very shiny, growing back in much thicker and much less fuzzy.

Henna on greying natural redhair day 7 Close up Henna on greying natural redhair day 7

I will have to look at mixing with the Cassia Obovata and Henna to get closer to my youthful color, but I do love the coppery red that my hair turned out.

2014Feb7Henna
ACWN
Re: Henna on Natural Strawberry Blond Greying

If you're after something closer to your natural color when you were younger, you might look at Raj. Jasmine instead. The dye content is much lower and it tends to naturally go towards strawberry blonde/light auburn/light copper when you leave it on for a shorter period of time.

If you still have Monsoon left, you could use it up by gradually backing off on how long you leave it on your roots each time by about an hour until you hit about 2 hours. If its still too dark for you, you can then start adding conditioner to the henna to dilute it down.

Just don't apply all over cause the rest of your color will get darker each time.

RedCyn

Right now I have roots about an inch long. So if I want to keep the current color you are saying to only henna the roots?

I do have about 200 grams of unmixed Ancient Sunrise® Rajasthani Monsoon left over.

I have not heard of mixing with conditioner or anything like before. I have only used henna this one time.

ACWN
Plant dyes build up color with each use. So yeah, if you like your color... Roots only.

Adding conditioner dilutes the dye and makes it lighter. Its called a "gloss" here.

RedCyn
Re: Henna on Natural Strawberry Blond Greying (Updated with ...

Awesome, is there a recommended type of conditioner to use as a base for gloss or recipes?

How do I keep the henna off rest of hair since mine is still quite short and growing?
ACWN

Water based conditioner, nothing with oils. Nothing thick. Suave, White Rain or V05 are recommended usually.

Put the henna in a ziplock, squish into a corner. Tie off and snip the tip. Carrot bag! You'll then just run lines along your roots. This takes practice, but it is totally do-able. A little overlap wont hurt, henna tends to be very forgiving of that.

RedCyn
Thank you so much for all your assistance and tips!
CCartwrightJones
admin
Gosh you look good!  thanks for showing us!
RedCyn

Thank you for your kind words!

A few more questions. When I henna my roots, should I just wrap my head in wrap as I did my entire head? Is there a way to condition the ends that I don't want to henna at same time?

ACWN

Yes, wrap it as normal.

I would imagine you could slather the ends or even the length right up to the henna pasted roots with something like coconut oil (just did my hair last night and OMG! So soft <3) and then just loosely bind it with an alligator hair clip before you cover your hair. But do this AFTER you've applied the henna to your roots - and apply the paste heavily. Just to make sure they're totally covered and you don't have to worry about the dye being inhibited by the oil.

RedCyn

I will give that a go. Would Olive Oil work as well? I have had great results using it as a hot oil treatment in the past

ACWN
Yeah, it should be fine! Just use in moderation.
RedCyn
Very happy to report it worked wonderfully! Thanks again for everyone's help.
RedCyn
Unfortunately.

Due to the new restrictions on Flickr, my photos have been removed.  There seems to be no way to update the original post with new pictures so any suggestions would be appreciated.  I would like to update the thread for anyone else needing examples.