Sistelocks and Henna

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
henpee
Sistelocks and Henna
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and am really enjoying all the information here.

I used to henna many years ago when I had relaxed hair but I have not done so with my sisterlocks.  Unfortunately, they have now turned into a dry, awful coppery colour for about 6/7 inches of the end due to chemical colouring.  I have not coloured my hair in over 18 months. My natural colour is a sort of off black. 

I would now like to henna to get a to mid brown colour on my locks but really do not want to go too dark.  I have tried to go black and it just does not suit me. I am confused as to how I will get rid of the coppery ends and not go too dark.  I should also mention that I have some grey around my hairline.

I would be greatful for any suggestions.
ACWN
Re: Sistelocks and Henna

Plant dyes cannot lighten, they can only add to what you have... so while a henna and indigo mix (henna alone cannot give brown) can give you a medium brown on your chemically colored hair and on your gray... your natural color wont change. Chances are, it will actually go full on black.

There are other mixes that could give you a more golden brown color to turn your gray into more natural highlights but wont change your natural color much, if at all. These mixes are cassia heavy. Cassia has a weak yellow dye that only shows up on white or pale blonde hair. A mix like 50% cassia and 25% henna and 25% indigo is a place to start.

henpee
Thanks so much for your reply. The truth is my natural colour is a very dull black so its something I do not want. Dark black does not suit me.  I'm not sure I understand what the heavy cassia mix will do for my copper ends.  Will they go darker?

would it be an option to start with an indigo /henna mix to get the medium brown for the ends and darken them and my roots  and then gradually reduce the indigo in the henna in subsequent mixes so my hair does not get too dark?  If I go down this route, what would be the henna./indigo ratio.

Also my sisterlocks are about bra strap length, how much would I need? And which brand henna should I be buying?

I'm sorry for all the questions but my hair is in really poor condition.  What do you suggest i use to prior to the henna?

thanks for all your help.
ACWN

If your ends are not super light, they aren't likely to change much either.

You can do that, but all you'd end up doing is making the color of your gray and roots more red, not lighter. If you want your color to gradually go lighter, you'd need to start adding cassia to the mix.

I would say 300 - 400g each of henna and indigo, and plan on using it all. Only mix the indigo when the henna is dye released. This forum is hosted by a company - mehandi.com, they sell henna, indigo and cassia. I would recommend Henna for African hair, as it rinses out very easily, and for the indigo.. I would suggest CMC powder as it makes the indigo smooth and creamy. Its naturally very grainy and can be hard to rinse out.

You may not need to treat your hair.. but if your hair is REALLY shot, you may consider a keratin treatment to restore the keratin to your hair so the henna can bind properly.

henpee
No,I do not want my roots ligther. I want a dark brown or may be some highlights. I just do not want jet black or copper orange ends.  I despeately want to get rid of those to a dark brown. So the cassia mix will give me this ?  I am so confused.
ACWN

The ends you can color to a brown with a hennigo mix. If you do not want black on your roots, you will need a cassia heavy mix to turn your grays into highlights. Any hennigo you add to your roots that isn't diluted will turn your grays brown, but will turn the rest black. Granted, it will be a very glossy black.. but black nonetheless.

So.

Ends - equal parts henna and indigo.

Roots - 50% cassia and equal parts henna and indigo (25% each).

BTW - what I meant when I said "if you want your color to gradually go lighter", I meant the color of your grays. If you start with a medium brown mix all over, you'd get something of a medium brown color on your chemically colored ends, a deeper than you have now black on your natural color and a medium brown on your grays.

If you then began mixing cassia into your hennigo while gradually removing equal amounts of the hennigo from your mix (IE adding 20% cassia to your mix and reducing the hennigo amount to 80%, then 25% cassia and 75% hennigo, etc etc), and apply to JUST your roots, your natural color would gradually return to its normal color and your grays would gradually turn a lighter, golden brown. It would be a gradual, smooth transition with no sharp line of medium brown to golden brown. I really hope that makes sense, I don't wanna confuse you any more!

If you keep applying all over every time you color, your length would eventually go all black (grays included).. even with a cassia heavy mix. It would take some time, but it would happen at some point. Plant dyes are permanent and will build up in layers, becoming darker each time until they saturate the hair. When indigo is involved, this means black. Once you get a color you want, its best to do only your roots from that point on.