First time doing Henna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
ajackson
First time doing Henna
I would like to try henna with the highest lawsone content, but there is also henna for African hair. Since this is my first time I am unsure which I should pick and which would be best for my dreads. I was also wondering if anyone had experience with henna and using dyes like Manic Panic that don't contain PPD and how that worked out for them. I would like to henna most of my hair but make the back a bright teal or electric blue. But I wont be bleaching my hair and I know it wont be as bright, Im just concerned at how the henna will react. Thanks in advance for the help.
ACWN
Re: First time doing Henna

Henna for African Hair would be the best for your dreads, it rinses out the easiest. If you're after the most red possible, mix it with something fairly acidic into a lumpy paste (don't worry about mixing it smooth yet)... let it dye release. Once you have an orange peel colored stain on your palm, mix smooth (mixes easier this way for some reason) and put the henna paste in ziplocks, mush the ziplocks flat and freeze.

Once frozen, take out and thaw at room temp. Apply heavily like cake frosting and leave on for 5 - 6 hours.

Now... in regards to veggie dyes with henna... Do not apply the henna to where you want the blue or teal - you will get a very funky result. Bad funky. And you will have to wash that hair separately the entire time its in your hair. The dye will bleed into the rest of your hair and for some reason, it will stick.

I had this happen to me in the past. I had my bangs bleached out and dyed emerald green, the rest was copper orange from henna. I didn't separate my bangs and where the henna touched my bangs turned a weird brown. And it stuck. Permanently.

So you can definitely do it, but you'll need to keep them separate from each other.

ajackson
Thank you for your help. Since you have experience with both henna and colored dyes I was wondering if you could help me again. I have decided to go with your suggestion and I'm going to order Henna for African American Hair. I have also decided to bleach my hair, then apply the colored dye instead of just applying it over my natural hair color. Would it be best to bleach my hair, apply the Manic Panic and then Henna my hair or would it be better to Henna first and then apply the Manic Panic to my hair? And when I have applied both will I need different shampoos and a different maintenance routine for both sections of my hair?  
ACWN

Henna over bleached hair will give you a vivid orange color, typically. So if you don't want that, I would suggest only bleaching what you want to be obviously teal or blue. Or, alternatively, if your hair is really dark and you DO want some red to show, you can bleach most of it to a lighter brown (reduces some of the orange tones) and then bleach what you want to be obviously teal or blue to a blonde.

I'm not really sure if it will matter which you apply first because either way, you're going to have to keep the manic panic dyed hair separate from the henna when washing the other out.

Henna doesn't really require any special maintenance but the manic panic will. If you want it to last as long as possible, you're probably going to want to use a shampoo made for dyed hair but I'm not really sure. I just used my regular shampoo and re-dyed it when it got too faded. *shrugs* That was probably every 2 - 3 weeks or so.

jeunebelle617
Since you have dreads, you will need to use the Henna for African Hair. This Henna has the purest sift which makes it easier to wash out after the application. If the color isn't deep enough the first time around, you can always reapply the Henna. Always wait at least four days before re-doing the Henna application to make sure you get the color you want. Henna generally takes 4-7 days to oxidize before it reveals its true color.