any suggestions for henna and indigo?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
auntieh07
any suggestions for henna and indigo?
Hi, Am wondering if anyone has any suggestions on going from an orange/red to a reddish brown but on the light side. I am not too familiar with indigo, I don't use it and when I do other people's hair I am usually trying to accomplish a very deep reddish black or very dark reddish brown or just very dark and shiny black. Hence, I am a bit concerned that I might go too dark on my friend's head and that is very hard to fix with henna since you cannot lift color but can darken it rather easily if not careful. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what an appropriate ratio might be? No glosses my friend has lots of stubborn grays. She also has short shoulder length hair. Thanks!
auntieh07
Re: any suggestions for henna and indigo?
Took the plunge, decided to go easy on my friends head. Used 50% henna from a 100 gram package and 25% Indigo. Added a pit of lemon juice let the henna sit for 5 hours. Added the Indigo just before application and mixed well. Applied it on clean dry hair. Wrapped it and re-wrapped it and left it on her head for 2 hours. The results: Fabulous, rich, chocolatety reddish brown, super shiny and just gorgeous. I have found new respect for Indigo, you can do light reddish brown well. She loves it so much she almost cried and I am glad because I was silently freaking out...lol All is well!
Kathryn
Can you please tell me how to measure indigo? Like is a 1/2 tsp the powder before mixed with water or indigo already mixed with the water? I know henna measurements means already mixed up and dye released, but not sure on the Indigo. I use henna gloss to dye my roots and now the gray is increasing so I an experiencing some orange so I have read to add indigo. My plan is to only add it to the spots that get the orange glow. Thanks.
jeunebelle617
The measurement of indigo is a 1/2 tsp in powder form.
ACWN

My understanding is this... powder into conditioner makes a stronger gloss because there isn't any extra liquid added and its not as diluted, whereas paste into conditioner is weaker cause its getting diluted more.

If you're worried about it being too strong, go with paste. If that isn't enough color for you, you can hit it again with the same mix for the same or a little less time.

Or, alternatively... if you're worried about it being too weak, you can do powder into conditioner and if its too dark, you can pull a little out by washing your hair with shampoo right away.

Biberin
Are you saying you used 50g of henna (half the 100g packet) plus 25g of indigo, or was the indigo 25% of the mixture (12g)? I have most recently used 50/50 henna and cassia, and it's just a bit too much red, so I'm looking to add indigo without going too dark. I think it would be fair to call my natural color pre gray a dark strawberry blond. I don't want to darken the color; I just want to tone down the red a bit without getting brassy from using too much cassia. Any suggestions?
auntieh07
My friend's hair was a medium to light brown which she had chemically dyed a copper light red which was almost like a reddish blond in a way the red started to fade quickly and she was left with a brassy orange nightmare. I used 50 of the henna bag and about 25 of the indigo bag. I didn't add the indigo till the last minute. I mixed really well for about a minute and then applied. I just did another friend who had a similar problem but she was really trying to kill the red a good amount, her thing was she wanted a reddish brown not just red so I did 50 henna and 50 indigo. I let that sit for 3 hours. Her hair was a shiny dark reddish brown but indigo fades a bit after application, its just the nature of it, its semi permanent the henna is what makes it stick. So she immediately had medium to dark reddish brown that over a week progressed to a light reddish brown which is holding strong. I did have her shampoo immediately after she rinsed out the application and condition. Sometimes with indigo you have to go a bit dark at first to get the exact red kill ratio you want, it does lighten over time to the right shade and by this I mean by 2 hair washes. I can only tell you what I have seen. But if your hair is that light you might need to leave it on a bit longer OR you can go a little bit at a time with 50/25 and do two hour applications, its up to you. Also, if you are ever dissatisfied with the coloration/darkness of the indigo you can crush some vitamin C pills and mix with some shampoo a bit of water and leave on your head for an hour or so and it will release a good amount of the color but it will not do anything for the henna so you will end up with more red once again. Good luck, the ladies on this forum are very experienced and I am sure they will be able to guide you in the right direction.