Twighlight Dye Release - Immediate?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
mowglijazz
Twighlight Dye Release - Immediate?
I've been advised to let twlight rajasthani dye-release for 12 hours before applying for 8. Can I mix it up and apply immediately, and then leave for 20 hours (dye-release time and processing time)? Thanks!
ACWN
Re: Twighlight Dye Release - Immediate?

As a frequent henna-head, I can honestly tell you that you're probably NOT going to want to have it on your head that long!

Your scalp would warm it up and speed up the dye release, but it would still be on your head for a *really* long time.... you have to have it wrapped in plastic and then something to keep it warm. Even if you have something relatively light like a beanie, it can get annoying and potentially heavy, depending on how much hair you have. Your head starts to sweat, so you can sometimes end up with henna-stained dribbles running down your neck.

Depending what you mix it with, could possibly start to itch too. And I can very much imagine it eventually giving you a headache if its on that long.

You're really better off mixing it just before bed and leaving it someplace cool or chilly while you sleep. It'll slow dye release some, but you also wont have to worry about missing dye release and then you only have a few more hours to burn before its ready to apply.

mowglijazz
Gotcha. Can I do a strandtest that way? Just 20 hours in super saran wrapped, super muddy, warm ramikins?
ACWN

You could, but there is a lot that could potentially go wrong. You'd need to keep it on your person or somewhere that would steadily mimic your body heat for that long.

I understand why you're asking, and why you're wanting to do it that way... but it really does have the potential to mess things up and give you an incorrect result.

mowglijazz
Siiiiiiiigh yes, I do understand that... Ok thank you so much!
ACWN

Sorry! *pout* I hate to disappoint you like that, but I really want this to work out for you! I know how excited you are to give this a go.

The GOOD news is, that once you get the color you want.. its all a matter of applying to your roots AND you can mix your henna in advance! You can mix up a larger batch and break it down into root sized amounts, then freeze it. You can have henna prepped and ready to go for at least 6 months before it'll start to break down and weaken.

mowglijazz
Aw, thank you! I am excited - it's been years and I am so ready to have healthy red hair. I don't brush my hair so I don't have any hair to strand test, and I am nervous about putting it right on my head to test it... Love the idea of keeping it in the freezer for root touchups!
ACWN

You could snip of a bit of hair off from a place where it wont be noticed too. I've done that in the past.

Yeah, keeping it in the freezer is great! I have a bunch of powder stored there (keeps forEVER like that!) and then I mix 200 - 300g at a time for my roots, then break it down by weight (food scale). The powder basically doubles or triples in weight when its mixed into a smooth paste, so the last time I mixed 300g left me with 9 or so little baggies of paste. I break it down into 100g amounts on my scale. Its perfect for about an inch of roots.

mowglijazz
Wow - that's a lot! Ok thank you again for the amazing tips! I so appreciate it!
ACWN

Np :)

Keep us posted on how it goes or if you have any other questions.