Terrible henna hair

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
lisakay555
Terrible henna hair
Hello, I am new to using Henna and I think that it really looks great so far. Now I am noticing people that appear to be using henna and it looks terrible. The color is uneven and does not appear natural at all. Are these people using compound henna or henna with chemicals in it or am I in denial and my hair looks like that too?
AsopsFable
Re: Terrible henna hair
I know what you mean. I recently started using henna again (ancient sunrise-twilight) I love it. It is rich and deep and shiny. But when I was thinking about doing it (wondering if I was too old) and during my daily travels (if I am on the road alot for errands) I see many women with shades of red and it's not very lustrous and has no depth (dry, dull, faded?)
CCartwrightJones
admin
If you've got good results, don't second guess yourself.  Though "some people say, 'you don't need a PhD to use henna," it actually DOES help to have someone on board who has done 13 years of graduate study including a PhD focusing on henna.  A lot can go wrong with henna (and everything else) if you just trust the internet or instructions off the store shelf to inform you.  I often read advice on henna on the internet and just cringe.  I also get 'henna products' from Ebay and elsewhere and test them and just want to weep for henna.  We have several cosmetologists as admins, and that makes a big difference too!  We can help you get genuinely good results. And yes, a lot of other henna out there sucks. 
mowglijazz
I am curious - what keeps henna'd hair looking lustrous, even and bright! I have read that repeat applications will deepen the shade, but if one is only doing root touch-ups and wants to avoid dark-ends, what would be a good maintenance program? I imagine whole head once, then roots every 3 - 6 weeks, then whole head, then roots... But perhaps that would end up being too much on the ends? Of maybe just watching the hair and doing the whole head as needed? Special oil treatments in between? Thanks, Catherine and everyone, in advance!
ACWN

My ends and most of my length haven't seen henna in about 3 years, they are still as intensely colored and glossy as my recently dyed roots. I don't do anything other than my usual wash and condition. I use Tresseme moisture shampoo and am currently using their "breakage to strength" type conditioner.

When mixed and applied the right way, henna wont budge. It wont fade. You really don't need to maintain it like chemical color.

lisakay555
Thanks for the responses to my strange question..... I really appreciate it. ACWN, when you do just the roots, do they always appear slightly lighter than the rest of your hair?
ACWN

Nope. But I also don't do much with my hair. I don't style it.