Waxy Hair After Henna'ing?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
mowglijazz
Waxy Hair After Henna'ing?
I was an early adopter of henna for hair at age 15. While I fell off the wagon and resorted to chemical dyes, I have always wanted to come back. Fast forward 20 years, and I am greying in temples and have almost fully platinum highlights through my dark blonde hair. Last year, I purchased the copper kit from hennasooq.ca. While it came out a gorgeous red and covered my greys, I was left with extremely waxy feeling hair! No amount of apple cider vinegar, shampoo (natural and chemical), baking soda, ANYTHING would get rid of it. It was like I had done a hot wax treatment on my hair, and hadn't gotten it all out. I called and spoke with the owner of Henna Sooq, who had no idea what I was talking about. So, I bought a box of red hair dye at the drugstore and low and behold: after dying the waxy feeling was gone. I've since gone back to blonde, and recently did a box of naturcolor red overtop. It didn't quite take, so I went to Aveda - and they threw some kind of golden brown on top. I'm wanting to go back to using henna, but I am nervous about the waxy issue! Does anyone have any thoughts? Has anyone experienced this after henna'ing? I welcome feedback!
ACWN
Re: Waxy Hair After Henna'ing?

I've never heard of this happening before, and cannot even begin to think what would cause it, except maybe mineral build up (but I doubt it). Luckily, Lady C - the owner of Tap Dancing Lizard/Mehandi.com (this forum's host site) - is now more active and she's an expert in henna. So hopefully she'll pop in and give some clues.

What I *can* suggest is that you purchase some samples from mehandi.com and try them out on some hair from your hair brush. Mehandi.com's henna is lab tested by an independent lab (no other company does this) so what they say the henna has or doesn't have is 100% true. A strand test will tell you what result you will get on your current color with any given henna and will tell you if you will end up with that same issue again.

mowglijazz
It would be amazing if Catherine would weigh in! I know, it was a really strange occurrence. The mineral buildup is possible, but then why would the only thing to resolve it be boxed hair dye chemicals? I should purchase for strand test, good idea :)
HennaGal
admin
I have never heard of that! How strange. The chemicals in the box dye probably just ate away that mystery waxy substance.
ACWN
Second what HennaGal said about the chemical dyes. I had the same thought but couldn't figure out a way to say it the way I wanted... she said it for me! Lol
mowglijazz
Thanks ladies! In the end the chemicals seemed to work indeed, but my issue is preventing it from happening in the first place :) I really want to give up the dye habit :P
ACWN
Well, strand test. If you have the same issue, then try using a mineral build up remover like Rainwash or Crystal Ion Clarifying treatment on another bit of hair, and do a new strand test.
mowglijazz
OOh I have never heard of those before, I will check them out! Can either of you point me in the right direction for a medium golden blonde mix? I would be most appreciative!
ACWN

Rainwash is available at mehandi.com, Ion you can get at a beauty supply store.

Uhmmm... I would say try a mix that is mostly cassia (about 75%) to a small amount of henna and a liiiittle bit of indigo to tone done the red tones. But that would only work on light (IE gray) hair, and I'm not 100% sure of the results.

mowglijazz
Another q: if I want to work with my natural dark blonde hair as it grows in and just add golden highlights to my greys, could I just use cassia??
ACWN
Yeah, but cassia's dye is very weak. You could experiment with adding tiny amounts of henna to the cassia to boost the color. When henna is very heavily diluted, it takes on more yellow tones. Sometimes it can turn a little brassy, so you'll want to experiment with strand tests first.
mowglijazz
I've heard it's weak. I really want this hair: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R1mTy01g8JE/TYD_Hgv85jI/AAAAAAAADHI/ZiWj1eR107... Which I have naturally when it's grown out - although those blondes are now grey!! So the mix you suggested might take me there (yes i know, strand test!)?
ACWN
Its a place to start. You might also want to try 50% cassia, 25% henna/indigo, or something similar.
mowglijazz
GREAT idea! Thank you so much!! And that way if it's not dark enough, I can add more in. So excited! Last q: if my hair is fine and shoulder-length, can you advise amounts to purchase of each? Then I will order right away!
ACWN

I would say 100g each if your hair reaches the top of your shoulders and 200g each if its to the shoulder blades. That way you have a bit of room to play, but you might also consider 100g more of each, just in case.

You can freeze the henna and cassia (powder or paste.. paste lasts about 6 months frozen) and only mix what indigo you need at the time, keep the rest in powder - wrap tight in ziplocks, then plastic wrap and stick in a metal tin to keep it out of the light. Store it in a cool, dry place with a constant temp.

mowglijazz
Perfect, I will order right now and thank you!
ACWN

The site says 200g will work for collar length straight hair and 300 for shoulder blade length since the powders more or less double in weight when turned into pastes, but I always recommend a lil more than recommended just to cover user error. I know when I first started, I always mixed my henna too thick and 200g barely covered my (at the time) chin length hair.

Since its been a while since you've used plant dyes, you might want to order more than you think you'll need to cover yourself... plus you can use the extra for roots later on!

mowglijazz
Gotcha. And so I am looking at purchasing: 200g of Cassia, Ancient Sunrise ® 200g Sudina Indigo Ancient Sunrise ® 200g Jasmine Henna Ancient Sunrise® And the rainwash. Would you recommend that?
ACWN

Mmmm... yeah. Sounds good. But I would start with sample amounts first. See if you have the waxy issue or not, if the Rainwash will correct it if so, and your results on your current color. You might also want to consider sampling a henna that is just a little stronger than Jasmine - I think its Henna for African Hair.

Get all your ducks in a row, prep yourself and know where you stand before you spend a lot of money, y'know?

mowglijazz
I may just buy the kit and caboodle - I can always do a friend's hair :) So my hair is still super damaged, you think maybe just the regular henna then?
mowglijazz
Also, I live in Vancouver, BC and we have really soft water. Not sure I actually need rainwash...
ACWN

Sorry, ran out for a little bit. Rainwash wont hurt to try at the very least. And I was thinking the stronger henna just because of your gray.. better coverage.

mowglijazz
No problem, and will do! Thank you :)