East India Brass?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
East India Brass?
Seeing (online) a lot of brassy hennaed East Indian older folk~ women with grey/white hair, henna dyed w/flaming orange results, and men w/carrot-y beards and mustachios... My guess is that in such instances henna was applied but once, and perhaps only for a short while? Here's my query~Have read re: different recipes and different timing of henna mix on the hair: some for as little as 20 mins for conditioning, on up to 10 hours /overnight for depth of color. So, if a shorter period of time is employed, is that when brassiness is most likely to occur? (whatever the starting color...) What is the shortest recommended time to pass the brass(sy) stages? Also, as to the acid (lemon or ACV, etc....) added to the paste~ does that have any effect whatsoever on brassiness in the outcome, yay or nay? Thanks!
ACWN
Re: East India Brass?

I might be incorrect in this, but I think tradition and general business practice (I think there are a lot of henna salons in India) requires hot or boiling water for the henna, which can result in the flaming orange. But it also typically results in fading.

2 hours with a lower dye content henna will give a vivid new penny copper color on blonde hair and a darker auburn that flashes dark copper in the sun on medium ash brown. This is what I've gotten in the past and get currently. I use tea and have never had an issue with brassiness except once when I mixed my henna with cassia and it faded.

glow worm
Thank-you ACWN, for replying. Gee there's just so much that goes into the result w/ henna coloring...! And so many different/interesting/and sometimes opposing(!) instructions!!!! The red hair thing in itself is a vast topic, so many colors, such variance. Acids, terps or no/not.... hot water, warm water, tea, egg, yogurt, honey, clay, herbs etc. Yeow! Appreciative, glow worm.
belovedhlin
Yes, there are a lot of choices that go into the color of henna.  Your hair being really the most important part of it. Lemon juice often adds to the brassiness, amla cuts it almost entirely.  The longer you leave it on the richer the tone generally is.  As for the last comment, you don't want to use terps for your hair, or egg, yogurt, honey, etc... I have really learned that simple recipes give the best results. 
glow worm
Hi behovedhlin, just learned too that ACV or cranberry juice or apple juice can be used rather than lemon juice to avoid brassiness. Thanks!