When life gives you (dark) henna, use lemonade?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
When life gives you (dark) henna, use lemonade?
(Other) questions/observations: I would LOVE to be able to employ the KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) method for henna application as well as in all other areas of Life. BUT... So, at 50+odd years of age, still playing w/ hair~ it grows in @ darkish blonde/somekind of med brown w/gold and red highlights and increasing strands of silver swirly weirdness showing up in otherwise basically straight strands of hair. Find myself once again drooling over gorgeous shades of red appearing on hennaed heads online mostly. Notice that, yes i am older than most of the gals sporting sometimes outrageous shades of shiny silkiness and yes, my skin is ahem, "looser" than and of a different radiance than my younger co-conspirators in the muddy-top-henna application wonderfulness. Here's the thing. I LOVE henna! And, when my hair eventually goes to deep auburn or even a burgundy as it is surely wont to do w/ me~ i look AWFUL due to whatever tone of skin it is that is sported here. So, for me, the red that works best, if it even works, is lighter gingerish... maybe some rosieness, i dunno. And, what I'm asking is: If i was to use ONLY low lawsone hennas... maybe even in glosses... with LEMON (since that's supposed to be a lightening/bleaching agent), could i get away with doing full head applications say once a month or so? I ask because i positively dread the thought of doing root only applications.... it blows the whole experience for me. I love to slop around with the mud, put in all over my entire scalp lovingly and go on with whatever happens next. I'm a little reluctant to use a lot of lemon juice, since it is very drying. And i do find w/cassia mixes (even with only tea/water/no lemon), that there is drying/crunchy/stiffness to hair afterwards. I always deep condition.... still. Okay, thanks!
ACWN
Re: When life gives you (dark) henna, use lemonade?

Lemon - from what has been said in the past - actually continues to darken henna over time after oxidation is complete. And it only works as a lightening agent on virgin hair, it really doesn't lighten henna-ed hair. Just temporarily reverses oxidation (if I recall right from a past post ages ago) and dries it out.

Even with a gloss, you're still going to eventually get color build up.. there is no avoiding it besides doing roots only. Its just going to take longer.

Sorry. :(

HennaGal
admin
It sounds like your best bet would be jasmine henna and cranberry juice. You could try 2 tbsp per 1/2 cup of hair conditioner to gloss. it will slow down the process, but like ACWN said, it will inevitabley deepen.
glow worm
Thanks HennaGal, gonna go for it! Appreciative, glow worm.