Changes to Batch number and lawsone percentage on Monsoon henna ??

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
FreeSprit74
Changes to Batch number and lawsone percentage on Monsoon henna ??
I'm actually well-stocked with henna at the moment - 1500g of Monsoon, which should last me until sometime next year. But I do sometimes browse the store site, just to see what's there, or discontinued, as the case may be. So imagine my surprise when I saw the following details for Monsoon: Batch #051713hC Lawsone - 1.4% Price for 2000g - $119.80 http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html Interesting. That's hardly the same Monsoon henna I bought last March. The batch number *I* bought was #051812hG. The lawsone content is 2.1%. And I paid $120 for 2000g, plus I bought a fifth box when my idiot mailman left my shipment on my front steps so someone could steal it - I did get my replacement to the original shipment. I notice the listed info is the same as for the African Hair henna. Hopefully, this is just a mistake, but it does bring back the last time I bought the Ancient Sunrise Red henna and found both boxes contained Jasmine. Not at all what I ordered. And the packing slip said opened boxes couldn't be returned, so I sucked it up and used it, putting up with weak color until I bought my first box of Monsoon, which I really liked. Rest assured, though, I wouldn't be sucking it up if this were to happen again. I'd be on the phone to Customer Service, demanding an exchange to a shipment of the exact product I ordered, and I'd be disputing the charge with my credit card company if I didn't get just that. After the incident with the Jasmine henna I open EVERY box in the shipments I get and, luckily, they've all checked out. I hope someone looks into this. The least you can do is to call this henna something else, because it's NOT the same Monsoon that's in MY freezer!
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Changes to Batch number and lawsone percentage on ...
We bring in a dozen shipments of henna every year, and we lab test every one of them.  They always vary, and are unpredictable as is any agricultural product.  When the lawsone content is good, we charge a little more.  When the lawsone content is not so good, we charge less.  The highest lawsone shipments become Twilight.  The medium ones become Monsoon, and we price those a little lower than Twilight.  The most finely sifted shipments become African, and if we have a medium lawsone African, that might also be sold as Monsoon.  The lowest lawsone content shipments come are labeled Jasmine, and go out at the lowest price. Your grocery store does something similar with milk, hamburger, and fruit.  There's always a high, medium, and low batch, and it changes month by month.

Do discuss this with customer service, there may have been a problem with assembly or shipping ... nobody here sets out to cheat anyone, but occasionally something winds up in the wrong box. 
ACWN

I understand being upset above the Red to Jasmine thing, but the whole batch number thing was also mentioned ages ago by Carrie and Jen, and I think Lady C popped in at one time to talk about it, in regards to Celebration. That when they got something that had 3% again, it would go under the name Celebration but would have a new batch number. Stands to reason it just carried over into their other labels. Its a lot easier to settle on a list of specific names and drop new henna crops under those names when the meet a certain set of criteria (like sift, dye content range, or even undertone results) than it is to constantly come up with new names for every crop that comes in. That's also why they list the dye content - if what you bought before is a new crop and doesn't have the same dye content, then you can go for the next step up or down.

So since Monsoon has a lower content this time around, you'd want to grab Twilight - theoretically speaking, I know you don't need it at the moment. Its 2.4% and I somewhat recall Carrie and/or Jen mentioning that with their experiments, anything over 2% kinda all had very similar results so you'd more than likely be very happy with the results from that.

CCartwrightJones
admin
One of the reasons we have moved customer service into forum modding is that CS tests hair swatches immediately upon receiving each new shipment, so they know exactly what we've got and how it behaves in a few dozen mix variants.  Nobody can assemble that information without being here. The new lower lawsone henna shipments do have unusually rosy, sweet undertones ... you might like them. 
CCartwrightJones
admin
Here's a way to explain the batch numbers and variants:

I have a garden.  In 2012, my tomatoes did beautifully.  It was a hot, dry summer.  I'm not sure what molecule might represent them, tomatone, perhaps, but the summer's weather would have favored high levels of tomatone.  In 2013, the tomatoes were pathetic.  It was cool and wet.  Low levels of tomatone.  You never really know what you're going to get.

I order from several different henna millers to hedge my bets that I'm going to get something decent.  Though each exporter insists they're absolutely the best, I am only interested in lab results, and our prices are based on lab results, not on effusive self-flattery.  I did have to raise prices recently as shipping, tariffs, and customs duties have lurched upward beyond what I can absorb.