new to henna help please

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
rhinotam
new to henna help please
looking to henna for the first time (scary). I have never colored my hair,  and and worried about screwing it up-lol. my natural color is a dark copper/auburn, curly,  3/4 of the way down my back.  I am now getting grays that I would like to cover,  but  also want to stay as close to my natural color as I can.  I am just worried it will come out a Flaming red. .... Please help and suggest a brand, amount, mix, time, etc ?????
Thank you! !
scared newbie
Clouds_Descending
Re: new to henna help please
It's scary at first, but once you make that jump to henna, you'll be so glad you did! I've been using henna for 3 years, after almost 20 years of chemical dye.

The most important thing to know about henna is to ONLY use pure, lab tested henna, such as what is sold on mehandi.com. The second most important thing to know is it is completely permanent. So once you do your full head, you will only ever need to do your roots as they grow in.

In order to keep your curl, I would recommend you skip lemon juice or any other juices and use amla as the acid to dye release. Amla will help your hair retain its texture.

As for the henna, I think you will be very happy with the Twilight henna, and for the length of your hair I would suggest purchasing the 500g box and mixing the entire thing. (You'll likely have leftover henna, but that can be frozen and used to dye your roots next time. I always prefer to have too much than not enough!) Twilight is the highest dye content crop Mehandi currently has, and therefore gives the best grey coverage.

* For 500g of henna, you will want 125g of Amla.

* Mix both powders with water (approximately a cup of liquid for every 100g, but the goal is a mixture about the consistency of mashed potatoes.)

* Leave it on the kitchen counter in a bowl covered with plastic wrap- you want the plastic wrap touching the paste for about 8-12 hours.

* Add a bit more water after that so that you have a yogurt consistency.

* WEAR GLOVES!!!!

* Section your hair, thickly coat EVERY strand. This will take a while, especially since this is a thick mixture- it doesn't drip through the way a chemical dye does. Especially for your first time, and since you have a lot of hair, you might want someone to help you.

* Wrap your head in plastic wrap. I use medical tape to seal the edges and then put a knit winter hat on top of that. You want the paste to stay warm and moist. Leave on at least 4, preferably 6 hours for the best grey coverage.

* WEAR GLOVES when you rinse. Rinse and rinse and rinse. I use a cheap conditioner to help work the paste out easier.

* The color will be bright at first. Give it 3 or 4 days to oxidize before it settles to its true, final color.

* Enjoy your gorgeous henna head!

And of course, call customer service if you have any questions at all during the process at 1-855-MEHANDI ! Hope that helped, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions :)

rhinotam
can you getthe amla on mehendi as well? so you don't recommend adding any indigo to it to get a slightly darker color? I am just so worried. ..    Can  you post a picture of your hair? or send it to me in a pm? if I can figure out how to send one too, I can show you my hair as well.  Thank you so much for all the info. .. The mixes I have been reading are all over the board and back again and seem to be infinite,  so it is difficult to know which one/way to go. 
Clouds_Descending
Here's a link to the page where you can order amla from Mehandi: http://www.mehandi.com/shop/amla/

I don't recommend indigo at first because it's hard to remove if you decide it's too dark. I always tell people to start more conservatively. So, I'd do the henna and amla first. If you feel it's too red, you can do an indigo gloss- instructions for that are here: http://forums.hennapage.com/node/21