Button up that overcoat?

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
Button up that overcoat?
Query here, for some understanding..... Years (and years) ago i did superduper henna applications on long hair back to back to back w/heatcap. Arrived @ deep bugundy in a hurry. Hair beautiful, color horrible on my skin tones. People turned away in embarrassment for me. Always an experimenter, so it seems. So, i've a question re: how often henna can be applied (even in glosses) before "over coating" which can result in flat~even dull, stain results? I see unappetizing henna hair on some that appears like carpet fiber~no longer hair with shine. I thought that henna permeates and binds to the inside(?) of the hair strands. But does it also coat hair? And if so, if henna is employed prudently, correctly, (non addictively,) does the "coating" have a chance to wear off a bit before further applications, so as to not become flat/dull? I guess my actual question is, if used on non chemically treated hair, what would cause henna applications to result in flat affect/dullness? If the answer be over-usage, what is a respectful, sane duration between applications? Any other tips on preventing/addressing unwanted (flat/dull) effects of buildup? Thanks!
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: Button up that overcoat?
I can't think of any reason for your hair to look flat and dull unless there's mystery meat in the henna.  If henna has metallic salts in it (compound henna) that will build up and make your color look dull.  I think you probably need to talk to customer service 1-855-MEHANDI about what you used before.  There may have been something unlisted in it that gave you poor results.  Otherwise, use a henna with a relatively low lawsone content.  We've got one that's 0.9% that is great for sweet, bright, light reds with lots of tonal variation.

You're right, there is some henna out there that makes hair look like a disco shag rug.  Ours doesn't do that.
Clouds_Descending
My first assumption would be the "carpet heads" you see are not using pure, lab tested henna.  It's very likely a compound henna, which means there are chemicals added that will dull the hair. 

Since pure, lab tested henna binds with your hair, there is no need to do a reapplication to the full head- I did my whole head 3 years ago when I discovered mehandi.com and I only do my roots now.  The length of my hair is every bit as vibrant as the roots.  Henna will not fade.  Henna does not coat the hair at all, it becomes a part of your hair! 

So my suggestion would be to decide what color you want your hair to be, determine if it's possible to achieve that color using a natural dye, (for example, you can never go any lighter than your current color using a non-chemical, all natural dye) and then do an application on your full head.  After that, you will only need to do your roots. 

I hope that helped, but if not, please let me know and I will do my best to assist you further!
glow worm
Thank-you both CCartwrightJones and j_jeney, I really appreciate you both for taking time out to respond. My intention is to call at some point, (soon) and place an order for the low lawsone percentage henna and perhaps ask a few more questions. If you don't mind me saying, yas rock! Appreciative, glow worm.
Clouds_Descending
Please do call any time! Sometimes the phones are busy and you have to leave a message, but someone will call you back! It sounds like you want the Jasmine henna. It's a low dye content with a fantastic sift... Also, we recently learned that if you mix your henna with cranberry juice instead of lemon or other acids, you get a rosier red. Just something to keep in mind, in case you want to try that.
glow worm
Jasmine and cranberries here i come! Thanks, glow worm.
FreeSprit74
That's weird. I've been using henna for 4 years now (only Mehandi's henna) & I've never had a problem with dull, flat color. I'm currently using their *ahem* ORIGINAL version of Monsoon (2.1% lawsone - not the 1.4% they list now) and I do full-head applications every time, every 5-6 weeks. My hair is very shiny, not at all dull.
CCartwrightJones
admin
Sometimes the henna crops have high lawsone contents.  Sometimes they don't.  I've spent the last 12 years in graduate school focusing on the science and art of henna, and ... well ... the short story is that henna has not yet been standardized by Monsanto.  I'm not certain I want that to happen.  The recent crops have been a little lower.  I suspect high lawsone crops coincide with the climate effects of an El Nino event in the Pacific, and medium crops coincide with a La Nina event.  Last round was La Nada ... and I don't think that made for much of a crop.  The numbers are down all around.  All I can do is import and test.  It's not like there's a green powder that I insert chemical lawsone into at a particular level ... of course, that natural variability is why chemical hair dye outsells henna.  Darn shame the chemicals are poisonous ..
ACWN

Free - Better to call it a new crop than "original version", I think. What they have listed now is just a newer crop that was purchased and tested.

The only thing I can think of that would suddenly cause henna to go dull and flat colored is mineral build up.