Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid Question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid Question
Hi All, Hopefully the following will help someone. Also i've a question afterwards... Found that dye release and amount of henna didn't really have nearly as much effect on coloring virgin hair as amount of time on head (for me.) Mixed 20 percent BAQ henna and 80 percent cassia in warm/hot water, put on head, left for 2 hours.... Bam! Henna head. In previous incarnations, i've used stuff like Blush Blonde Hennalucent, for say 20 minutes and noticed color from that too. Now, I kinda wish i'd left my henna/cassia (20/80) on for but 20 mins. So then, off to see about lightening. Read re: vitamin c/ascorbic acid shampoo cap. It DOES work (at least for me, fairly soon after but one henna/cassia app.) Thing is, i put ALOT of ascorbic acid, say 3/4 cup or so mixed with shampoo and left it on my head for 2 hours. Then washed out and did it again, back to back for another 2 hours. Redness did fade. At the price of burned ears, forehead and questionably textured hair. So, here's my question: does anyone know what the heck ascorbic acid actually does to the hair? Did it strip the hair? Did it bleach it or what? My ears/forehead recovered with applications of coconut oil. And hair as well with oiling + deeeeep conditioning. Thanks in advance, Glow worm.
HennaGal
admin
Re: Vitamin C Ascorbic Acid Question
Hello there! Vitamin C doesn't bleach or strip the hair, It simply Penetrates the hair shaft and helps to remove some of the dye molecules. The Vitamin C trick usually works best with alkaline chemical colors. its not normally as effective after using henna. It sounds like you may have just gone a bit over board with the ascorbic acid.
glow worm
Yas...! Overdoing is an accurate description of my ascorbic acid application! Thanks for answering, HennaGal. Was wanting to know what i'd actually done to my hair, if it was damaged and why it was crunchy/tangly. Henna red is hard to budge.... that quote about "marrying" it seems true! I always like how henna magic looks on others rather than myself. Somehow the red/orange with my pink cheeks looks weird. And the burgundy is horrible on me. Love it on others tho'~sigh.
HennaGal
admin
All that acid will for sure cause the crunchies. Give your hair a rest for a bit. if you'd like to try again, use much less AA and leave it on for an hour tops.  Condition very well after, of course!