Are orange hands unavoidable?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Turtlegurl
Are orange hands unavoidable?
Hi all ---  before I henna, I paint my nails (including under the tips), put on hand cream, and then put on disposable latex gloves --- but the henna still penetrates through all of that, and I always end up with orange hands. Does anyone have any tips, or is this just unavoidable? Thx!
cosmetologist.lady
Re: Are orange hands unavoidable?
Have you tried using nitrile gloves instead of latex? Switching to nitrile might help, but it is very strange that the henna is penetrating through the latex. Are you rinsing out the henna without gloves on? Or do you notice the orange hands directly after application? You could also try simply putting on another pair of gloves - so that they are double layered.
Turtlegurl
The orange is there as soon as I finish applying, supposedly without any direct contact with my skin! I'll try 2 pairs, and if that doesn't work, I'll try the nitrile gloves. Thanks!
ACWN

Are you rinsing your gloves off at any point to remove excess henna so you can manipulate your hair or items (like a comb or something)? If so, I wonder if any dye-water is getting into your gloves and because its sitting there, its staining your hands. I've had that happen.

It could also possibly have something to do with the hand cream, maybe? I dunno. Maybe try without or try Vaseline? Also, try tight fitting gloves instead of those "one size fits most" type gloves. Less likely to get water in them.

Turtlegurl
No, I don't rinse my gloves at any point, and they're pretty tight-fighting, so I'm not sure what's happening. I will try Vaseline --- and 2 pairs of gloves! That's just gotta do the trick! Thanks for the input everybody  :)
CCartwrightJones
admin
Lawsone molecules will migrate through latex, but only reluctantly.  Glove up and move fast.
Turtlegurl
lol --- maybe I just need to get faster at doing my hair, not be so much of a perfectionist!  (That only pays if you're talking about something like surgery!)   Thx.
glow worm
This was not intentional, still it removed henna stains from around and under my nails (and from dry, wrinkly fingers...) I applied an ascorbic acid / shampoo mix to my hair with hands uncovered. To my astonishment, i found that my nails were white/clear. I used quite a bit of ascorbic acid.... The next day, my daughter spilled some room freshener oil on her hand and could not get it off even with numerous hand washings. Her skin remained tacky with the air freshener oil liquid. I thought re: ascorbic acid mixed w/soap and voila! Tackiness relieved. Hope 'tis some help to you...(after staining, anyway.)
Turtlegurl
That's great! If doubling up on the gloves and trying to go faster doesn't work (i.e. I still get the orange hands), I'll definitely try that. Might be good to have around for any other sorts of stubborn stains. Thanks much  :)
Viljaana
This is a very intresting theme. How did it go with double gloves? Latex ages rather fast and tears quite easily. If your latex gloves are old, they might have micro tears and leek without you noticing. I too would recommed nitrile gloves: they are way more expensive, but they protect the skin better against organic solvents. I've seen this first had in lab where rinsing instruments with acetone is a standard procedure. Doing so with latex gloves will ruin ones nail polish in a heart beat, but with nitrile you can keep your polish intact for days. Acetone is the main igredient in old fashioned nail polish remover and a very effective one :). Vinyl gloves could work too. They're not as good as nitrile, but not as expensive either.