Question on condition of hair before using henns

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pam1017
Question on condition of hair before using henns
Hi guys,
I have started having a reaction to chemical dyes (itchy scalp and hair breaking off)  so now I am trying to enter the henna world. My main reason for dying my hair is graying. I'm about 25% gray, my natural color is the darkest brown. I am growing out what is a light brown. I noticed all summer my light brown kept getting lighter, I've only been dying the roots for about a year. Well, I had to go on Prednisone from from April 2012 to August 2012 due to colitis. I think the medicine really dried out the dyed areas and I also had a lot of hair breaking off near the scalp, long hairs with no root balls. Well, for about  2 months now, my hair has stopped falling out. May have been a combo of hair dying and prednisone but I started noticing the itchy scalp almost 2 yrs ago and never realized. The last time I dyed my roots was also 2 months ago. The recipe I want to try is 1/3 henna, 2/3 indigo, 1part amla (distilled water only) to get as close to dark brown as I can. I have also been using hot oil treatments and switched to sufate free shampoo/conditioner. I don't do any other chemical treatments, blow dry or curl my hair. I keep it pretty low maint. But I'm worried that my damaged hair may not have enough keratine in it for the color to bond to. Does anyone know if I should prep my hair further before I try henna? I can post pics of my hair if it may be helpful. 
Thanks so much everyone.....
ACWN
Re: Question on condition of hair before using henns

This is gonna be a book. Sorry!

Unless you were bleaching your hair until it turned to bubblegum or you were coloring it so much its turned into straw, your hair most likely will be fine. :) Though, admittedly, I don't know how Pred and colitis would effect the structure of your hair. If you're worried, strand test with just henna. Let the color oxidize (takes about a week), then wash it in the same schedule your normally do (every day, every couple of days.. whatever it may be). If you notice any fading in the color, then you may need to consider a keratin treatment for your hair before you apply. Least for the length, any virgin roots should be fine.

Some things to keep in mind are that with only 25% grey, the rest of your hair will most likely go very dark brown to black with a 2 to 1 hennigo mix. Plant dyes are not like chemical dyes, they don't mask and color everything the same. Plant dyes add to what you have. What is light (grey, in your case) will go to the color you want... the rest will go darker. Its like adding a dark tinted stain to light wood and dark wood. Same stain, different starting color.. each will both go darker equally.

If your grey is concentrated in one area, you can apply to there and not really have an issue. If its scattered pretty well throughout all of your hair and don't want the rest of your color to change, you *might* consider a slightly lighter mix to turn that 25% into natural-looking highlights. The rest of your hair would still darken, but not near as much.

Also, sometimes indigo has a hard time sticking when theres more of it than of henna - indigo binds to henna, which binds to the keratin in your hair. One frequent suggestion in this case is to try a two step hennigo. That is, do just henna for several hours (4+) to lay down a solid bed of henna, wash well with shampoo (no conditioner) and then follow with the hennigo step for 5 hours. There also have been a few reports of people who've had indigo fading issues in the past having success in getting the indigo to stay by applying the indigo step on totally dry hair, so you might consider applying the hennigo to dry hair as well.

Lastly, you will always want to apply to very clean hair... no oil treatments before hand. Avoid shampoo for at least 48 hours post hennigo as it can pull out the indigo. You can rinse the hennigo out with conditioner though. You might also want to hold off on the oil treatments for 48 hours too... I cant recall if it effects the indigo or not post rinse.

Pam1017
Thanks so much for the info!!!

Should I then consider going with a 1/3 indigo and 2/3 henna mixture? That would keep my dark hark from going too dark and giving my gray light brown reddish hi-lites. That sounds perfect. My next question is you mentioned using all henna for 4+ hrs, then the hennigo mixture for 5+ hrs. Do I need to do that whenever I touch up my roots every 4-6 wks? Also, do you think I need to use amla? If my dark brown stays dark brown and my gray has reddish brown hi-lights that would be fine since amla is acidic.

Thanks again for the info I really appreciate it.
ACWN
If you're going to do a henna heavy mix, you wouldn't need to do a two step. It's only recommended in an indigo heavy mix. You MIGHT wanna do 5 - 6 hours though, it helps with stubborn grey. And yeah, it'd be the same for your roots, unless its too dark... Then you can back off the time a lil. You can use amla, but it will remove the red hues of the henna.