Suggested proportions of indigo and henna for very dark brown on white hairs

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paperrose
Suggested proportions of indigo and henna for very dark brown on white hairs
Hi, I am currently using a two step, henna first then indigo to colour my white hairs to jet black. Although it covers very well, the black colour doesn't suit my complexion. So I am thinking of switching to a 2 step henndigo. With 50 percent grey, mostly at the front, my natural colour is a soft blackish brown. What proportion of indigo to henna will dye my white hairs to a softer blackish brown colour? And since I do my roots every 2 weeks, will the overlap on the lenghts become jet black? Also, is there anyway to lighten the lengths of my hair slightly so that they match the new growth? Would be grateful for any tips, thanks.
ACWN
Re: Suggested proportions of indigo and henna for very dark ...

For a really dark brown to near black, you may still need to do a two step, but instead of straight indigo, you'd do an indigo heavy hennigo such as 3 parts indigo to 1 part henna (75g indigo and 25g henna, for a round number). The reason why is that indigo doesn't hold very well without the henna and when you do a very indigo heavy mix for a very dark brown to near black, there isn't enough henna for the indigo to bind to.

Also, it sometimes helps with gray hair.

So, what you'd do is mix your henna as normal (with some extra), apply the henna step as normal, then mix the indigo and combine with your henna, then apply that for several hours.

Or, alternatively, you can do a 2:1 ratio for a dark brown mix that wont be quiet as dark as the rest of your hair, but would still be pretty dark.

So long as you're not applying all over, it shouldn't turn black on you either way. Learning to use a piping/carrot bag or a tinting brush is your best bet in this case, if you haven't already. Takes a lil practice, but its doable!

As far as lightening your length now... you can try washing with a combo of baking soda and dish soap to try and pull some of the indigo out, but if your color has been sticking pretty well... it might not, and it could take several times of washing with it before it lightens any. Its kinda rough on the hair, so expect to do some heavy conditioning treatments afterwards!

Paperrose
Thanks so much for the great tips, I'll try all of them.
CCartwrightJones
admin
The customer service crew at mehandi.com did a long series of tests, testing every one of our powders and different sources of acidic mixes on human hair swatches.  They've got some dark brown/warm black results that you'll like.  Give them a call and ask how they did it!  1-855-MEHANDI or use live chat at mehandi.com.