Protein shampoo on henna'd hair?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
tigerjan110
Protein shampoo on henna'd hair?

Hi everybody! I've been reading on this forum for several months for all the fantastic henna-related knowledge you all have, but am only just now joining/posting.

I've been coloring my hair with henna for about 6 months, after one not-so-successful attempt at a chemical dye. Between using the great-quality henna from Mehandi, and quitting all heat styling, my hair is probably the healthiest it's been in a while.

I only recently switched to organic shampoos, and after the initial adjustment period for that, my hair feels even better. For a while I used Aubrey Camomile Luxurious, which was "ok" for me. The last week I bought Aubrey GBP conditioner, but I'm a little concerned since I've seen a few posts warning that the combo of the protein, and the protein-like effect henna has on hair, can cause protein overload. I've only been using the GBP a few days, so I'm sure it's still adapting, but so far I love it. My hair is incredibly soft now. (So soft it barely holds curl- I curl with rags overnight.)

Sorry for all the lead-up...what I'm wondering is this: does anyone use GBP or other protein hair care products on henna, without trouble? Or am I just asking for problems by even trying it? I'm not clear on if protein overload happens suddenly, or if the dry/crunchiness starts gradually, and can be corrected before it gets bad. My hair texture is a little bit fine, but I have a ton of it, and it's bra-strap length and straight. It's in such good shape now that I don't want to do anything stupid and have to hack a bunch off!

Thank you!!

Carrie
Re: Protein shampoo on henna'd hair?
It wouldn't happen suddenly, and if your hair starts to show signs (stiff and crunchy feeling ends) you can simply use a clarifying shampoo or something rather strong like Prell shampoo to fix it, then switch away from any protein conditioners.
tigerjan110
Good to know, thanks Carrie! I'm crossing my fingers I won't have any issues, partly just because finding new products can be such a hassle!
seasiren2K13
I have personally noticed that after hennaing and then using a protein conditioner that my hair becomes a bit heavier within a couple days (so much that I've noticed the texture of my hair change.) However, after a couple shampoos with a good  clarifying shampoo the hair's texture is restored. So just keep an eye on your hair and adjust accordingly :)
tigerjan110
Oh ok, I'll definitely watch out for the heaviness as well, too. So far so good, and my hair feels great. I'm doing a gloss soon though (have only needed 1 whole head application before, and roots since then) so I'll have to see if that affects it at all. Thanks!!